CRM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

perferred 3 hp VFD to integrate with Allin1DC system

Post by CRM »

I have replaced the ProtoTrak MX3 control on my Trak DPM bed mill with a Centroid/AllIn1DC kit. I had previously used a Hitachi SJ200 VFD while the machine was equipped with the ProtoTrak MX3, and I re-used this VFD in the conversion. Up until a couple years ago, I had configured the drive for FRS (Free Run Stop) operation. I have since acquired and installed a braking resistor of unknown origin. I wired the two terminals of the resistor to the "RB" & "+" terminals.
All parameters are factory default EXCEPT as follows:
A03 60Hz (Base frequency)
A04 90Hz (max frequency)
B90 100% (Dynamic Braking usage ratio)
B91 00 (decel to stop)
C01 00 (terminal #1 FWD function)
C02 01 (terminal #2 REV function)
C06 18 (terminal #6 RESET function)
F02 3 (Spindle Accel Rate in seconds)
F03 1 to 5 (Spindle Decel rate in seconds, depending on braking resistor)
These were values suggested in another post on this forum I have tried several combinations of values for B90 and F03, with no noticeable change. I have tried these combinations with and without the resistor hooked up with no noticeable change, in fact it almost seems to perform better WITHOUT the resistor hooked up. The only thing that seems to matter is whether the spindle is being decelerated from ABOVE 2,200 RPM (E07 DC bus overvoltage alarm in the VFD) or below 2,200 RPM (successful decel to stop)
I am at my wit's end and out of ideas. I am at the point I am willing to remove this VFD (I have another application running a band saw I could use it for, although it would be overkill) and replace with another brand/model that has proven to be successful and has responsive technical support. It seems Automation Direct drives are popular with Centroid conversions.
If, for some reason, the particular braking resistor I am using is the problem, I would appreciate any help in sourcing the proper one. Also, any contact information for someone who could provide technical consultation for this Hitachi drive would be helpful.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: perferred 3 hp VFD to integrate with Allin1DC system

Post by cnckeith »

what ohm and wattage rating is the braking resistor you are using?

and usually the VFD will have a parameter for you to enter the OHM rating of the resistor, i didn't see that on your list above?

and yes the Automation Direct units are good.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

while i couldn't find any sj200 notes, i did found our notes on the sj100 and sj300
Attachments
HITACHI SJ100.pdf
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
HITACHI SJ300.pdf
(72.49 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
CRM
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CRM »

Thank you for the followup, Keith!
I haven't had a chance to see if I could find any markings on the resistor (I got it for free from a friend at work). However, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Durapulse GS20 series VFD and the recommended 70 ohm 300 watt braking resistor. I even splurged for a load reactor this time around since my spindle motor is not inverter duty rated in an effort to help prolong it's life. :)
It wasn't that much costlier when you take in consideration I needed to buy a VFD anyway for a 3/4 hp 3-phase DoAll bandsaw I bought; I'll just put the Hitachi on it instead.
Tech support for the DuraPulse appears to be much more accessible; lots of youtube videos demonstrating setup for various functions including dynamic braking. From the online documentation, the physical connections and footprint between the two drives look almost identical, so switching over shouldn't be difficult. Finding cabinet space for the load reactor close to the VFD will be the biggest hurdle.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

great.
put the vfd in its own box if you can.