Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tweaking VFD and Centroid Parameters

Post by lavrgs »

Yesterday I tried to "calibrate" my spindle speed and when all was said and done I started getting Drive Faults. I have a Hitachi SJ-100 VFD -see attached. I was reducing A04, which was set to 60 to get the actual speed of 560 down to the commanded speed of 500. I started getting intermittent speed changes, as if I was losing power, and then drive faults. I set the A04 back to 60 and the problem continued. I had also made some changes to various Centroid parameters that I don't think would affect the spindle...see report.
I used Winmerge to compare 2-14 to the 2-10 report files and there were some changes to parameters I did not directly change - I did change skins and went back to the original but Parameters in the 900 range were not changed by me...
I will go out in a bit to restore the 2-10 report and see if my issues are fixed.
I also include a file for the suggested parameter settings for the Hitachi SJ-100
Attachments
HITACHI SJ100.pdf
Hitachi settings
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
report_0008DC111213-0821233001_2024-02-14_15-04-23.zip
(828.51 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
hitachi-sj100-manual.pdf
Hitachi Manual
(5.03 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
cncsnw

Re: Tweaking VFD and Centroid Parameters

Post by cncsnw »

Parameters 911 through 940 reflect the inversion and forcing selections you have made on the Alt-i PLC Diagnostic display.

You should be particularly wary of any non-zero values in Parameters 916-940. Those indicate "forcing" of inputs, outputs, or memory bits. While forcing bits can be useful for short-term diagnostics, there is rarely an appropriate use for permanent forcing.

For INP1 - INP6 on an Allin1DC, if you have no limit switches to connect, you need to use the hardware DIP switches, not software forcing or even inversion.
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

What about OUTPUT1 I have it forced to get the spindle to run - what is the correct solution?
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I set the VFD to be controlled by the front panel and set the parameters back to what they were prior to calibration and all is good. Then set the VFD To be controlled by Centroid ...still good.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i have some vfd parameters need a power cycle to take effect. most manuals will show this in the parameter list with some indication (like an asterisk) beside it to let you know if you change that parameter then the vfd needs a power cycle and wait for power LED to go out!~

control by VFD panel vs. control by input (the cnc control) is often one of those.
when in doubt/stuck power cycle the vfd.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

What about OUTPUT1 I have it forced to get the spindle to run - what is the correct solution?
If OUT1 does not close, and stay closed, when you release emergency stop, then the control is detecting, and hopefully reporting, a fault condition.

The correct solution is to find out what that fault condition is, and resolve it. In the short term, that might involve a more surgical workaround (e.g. inverting an input or installing a jumper wire to defeat a specific fault condition that you know does not matter right now).

Some fault conditions are notoriously hard to identify, because CNC12 does not reliably report them if they are present at power-up. If there is no meaningful message in the message box (not even scrolled up out of sight), then check a few common things:
1) On the PID encoder screen, are all of your servo axis encoder, plus your spindle encoder, showing "000-" in the "DQOA" columns?
2) Is your emergency stop input working, and do you have that input number entered, as a negative number, in Parameter 0?

It looks like your particular PLC program will trigger a fault, and open OUT1, if you try to run the spindle while the collet-closed input (INP28) is open.

Since the collet-closed input is a pressure switch in the air line to the "close" side of the collet closer actuator, you can expect this fault if you simply do not have air connected. You will probably need to jumper or invert INP28, and also INP12 "AirPressureOk_I", if you do not yet have air connected or do not have the pressure switches working.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

It is the air that's the problem along with a message about the tool being wrong - I removed the ATC and can get by... My current road block is the air, I'm shopping for a larger compressor but I am not certain the one I'm looking at will ever keep up. I've looked for air consumption for the CHNC 4 and the number seem low for what everyone describes as an AIRHOG. The compressor I'm looking at is an Ingersoll Rand SS3L3 3HP 230V unit that produces 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI.
Are you certain about P28 it is set to 0.68 and is for the servo motors?…sorry IN28😎