CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

DC3IO manuals, schematics, how to

Post by SirNoScrap »

Hello everyone!
I just acquired a hardinge TFB-H with a conversion on it with the DC3IO control / panel. I don't have a manual or wiring diagram. Nor can I find one for some reason. So here I am reaching out to see if anyone has any ideas on how to aquire such things. The machine I got pretty much looks all there minus the computer. And a encoder wire. But I would like to go over it make sure everything is good and wired properly before I give it some juice. Honestly don't even know what voltage it takes. I will post some pictures of it maybe you guys can help me out! Any input will be highly appreciated! I don't even know where to start. Contemplating just getting a different control kit all together but don't want to spend the money if I don't have to! Also wondering what computer and software I need to run this thing.
Attachments
20240206_172114.jpg
20240206_172127.jpg
20240206_172313.jpg
20240206_172307.jpg
20240206_172218.jpg
20240206_172235.jpg
20240206_172505.jpg
20240206_172152.jpg
20240206_172103.jpg
20240206_172056.jpg
cncsnw

Re: DC3IO manuals, schematics, how to

Post by cncsnw »

That is probably a viable project, but it is going to be a long road to a working machine.

The computer would have contained the CPU10 control board, which is an essential component. The DC3IO will not do anything useful until it has a CPU10 board talking to it. It is very unlikely you can talk Centroid into selling you a CPU10 board. You might be able to find a used CPU10 board from someone who upgraded their control to Allin1DC.

You will need a PCI-slot computer and an IDE hard drive (or IDE compact flash adapter) on which you can install Centroid's CNC10 software and Linux operating system. See http://www.cncsnw.com/Motherboards.htm and scroll down to "PCI Motherboards" for a list of motherboards that are known to work with the CNC10 software and its Linux installation.

This is clearly a DIY install, so it is very unlikely there is a schematic that shows how the DC3IO board is wired to this machine's components.

The attached schematic is a generic factory schematic for a lathe with a DC3IO. It includes things you do not have (like electronic handwheels and a high/low range switch); does not include things you do have (like the second VFD, which maybe powers a flood coolant pump?); shows the drive bus rectifier powered through a 120V-to-85V transformer; and shows a slightly later revision of the DC3IO (September 14 instead of April 23).

You might be able to get the pigtail cables for the Dynapar F18 encoders from Centroid. The encoders may or may not be in working order. They are not sealed units, and they are intended to be installed in a protected environment (i.e. inside a dustproof cap on the back of the motor).
Attachments
K0400070.pdf
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
SirNoScrap
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by SirNoScrap »

Thank you soo much for all the information and super fast reply! I talked to the guy who sold it to me and he seems to have an idea of where the computer is [in storage some where] also has pics of it all hooked up before he disconnected everything! (Was his brother's build) completely retrofitted! I really have to go through this whole thing and reverse engineer it to see exactly where and how things are hooked up! And if he can't find the computer tower I'm thinking it may be more cost effective and viable to just get some servos and update to the Acorn control. Don't really know what servos to get that could give me some precision and repeatability! Possibly looking to make a live tooling holder with its own axis for milling and what not! But that's down the line baby steps first! Gotta get this thing goin! Will keep updating along the lines! And thanks again @cncsnw
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by lavrgs »

I have an old computer tell me what I'm looking for.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ScpcdYwCV6uvB1C96 Here's a pic
EDIT I just remembered there was a board I had to send back to Centroid to get my upgrade...
SirNoScrap

Post by SirNoScrap »

Lil update! As soon as I bought a computer and the Acorn and all the relays and switches etc to wire up a new cabinet the guy who I bought this from sends me a picture of a bin nicely packed up from when he moved the machine! Lol what are the odds this thing boots up and has everything pre installed?! 😂 Anyone know the connections needed for the CPU10 board?! And can I update the hand control to a newer one with a pulse generator?

So now I'm stuck in between setting this up as is with the DC3IO or switching out to the Acorn I bought!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
20240315_192554.jpg
20240315_192542.jpg
20240315_192536.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The computer with CPU7 board and, apparently, hard disk drive is a step in the right direction.

So are the jog pendant and the encoder cable(s).

The CPU7 board connects to the DC3IO with five optical fibers. If they are missing, you can get replacements from Centroid.
SirNoScrap

Post by SirNoScrap »

Ahh is that what it is the CPU7 and not 10!? And yes got all the fiber optic cables. I actually have 6 for some reason. Maybe one was extra for a just incase scenario?. Now I guess I just have to go over the wiring and everything before I give it some power! I'll test out the computer first and see if that relic boots! Pretty sure I'm going to need some fuses. A couple here and there are missing! But I mean everything looks pretty much new in the cabinet supposedly only has a couple hours run time before it was moved so fingers crossed it just powers up and runs perfectly ;)