Does the Oak work with my existing Fanuc 10T drives and motors?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

LorenCoffin
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Does the Oak work with my existing Fanuc 10T drives and motors?

Post by LorenCoffin »

I have a live tooling lathe that lost the spindle drive and has enough other problems it's isn't cost effective to fix it. Since it doesn't go to ready state now due to the drive being dead, would it be a better option to use the X and Z drives and respective motors with a Oak and fit it to a different machine as X and Y instead?
Edit: Maybe I should ask what control I should use for such a setup?
LorenCoffin
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Does the Oak work with my existing Fanuc 10T drives and motors?

Post by LorenCoffin »

"Yaskawa, Delta and SureServo2 are the only DIY recommended servo drive packages for use with Oak. While many other drives have been used with Oak successfully they are NOT a DIY project and are done by seasoned CNC integrators. For DIY sales there is no guarantee from Centroid when using Oak with any other drive other than Delta ASDA-A2 -B2, Yaskawa Sigma 1,2,5,7 or SureServo2." Does this mean it's a tough situation using the Oak with Fanuc drives and motors?
cncsnw

Re: Does the Oak work with my existing Fanuc 10T drives and motors?

Post by cncsnw »

Suppose I tell you this:

The Oak unit can control your drives, if:
- Your drives will run in analog velocity mode with a +/-10V reference
- Your drives will provide to the CNC a 5V differential quadrature (A/B/Z) encoder signal (a pass-through of the motor encoder)
- Your drives can use 24VDC interface logic for enable, reset, and fault signals
- Your drives have individual (one per axis) drive enable signals, which must be pulled low (closed to 0V) by the CNC to enable the axis
- Your drives have a "drive okay" ("not fault") output, which is closed when the drive is in a ready-to-enable condition

If the answers to all those questions are "yes, and I can find the pins for each of those signals", then there is a good chance you can retrofit your machine with the Oak, using the existing drives.

If the answers are "no" or "I have no idea what that means", then controlling your existing drives with the Oak, as a DIY project, is not viable.