Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Outputs acting strange

Post by Moose »

I had posted earlier about Aux contact M code mapping
After reviewing some videos and checking Outputs 4 & 6 I can NOT get any consistency from the state of contacts.

I don't use Output 6 "Clamp" so I tested M10 and M11and I am NOT getting a definitive ON or OFF?
I have connected 2 wires to the clamp output 6
Both wires connected but not touching each other my continuity tester will show continuity but remove one wire and its open

Checked Output 4 "Mist Collant" and same thing. M7 turns on the Mist Coolant LED but the contact shows nothing.
M9 turns off LED

I have double and triple checked that I am on the correct pins of board.

Same 2 wires connected to Output 9, I get a definite on/off continuity with the Aux3 key.
No change to the tester only moving the 2 wires on Allin1 output board.

All fuses test good

I need a simple M Code on/off contact for turning on a VFD in a program
I currently do not use output 4,6,or 9 although the mist coolant would be nice

What am I missing?

Thanks
Attachments
New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
(7.39 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
cncsnw

Re: Outputs acting strange

Post by cncsnw »

If you are trying to measure continuity through an output relay (e.g. from OUT6COM to OUT6, or from OUT4COM to OUT4) by touching your test leads to the screw heads in the green Phoenix plug, you will not get consistent results unless those screws are tightened down (whether there is a wire present or not). A loose terminal screw does not make reliable contact with its plug socket.
Moose
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Moose »

I am using wires tightened in properly
When I check Output relay 9 using the Aux 3 key I get a definite On/Off state

Same wires placed in 4 or 6 is where I get inconsistent readings.

Who do I need to contact to make PLC changes to get the Output 9 relay working with an M code command?

Don't mind paying just need to get this thing going.

Thanks
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Who do I need to contact to make PLC changes to get the Output 9 relay working with an M code command?

Don't mind paying just need to get this thing going.
I can help you with that, but it would need to wait at least until this weekend.
Checked Output 4 "Mist Collant" and same thing. M7 turns on the Mist Coolant LED but the contact shows nothing.
M9 turns off LED
Are you expecting the Allin1DC to be a source of some voltage out the output terminal?

The outputs (e.g. OUT4) are simply relay contacts. When OUT4 is on, then its COM terminal is closed to its OUT terminal.

If the Mist LED on the jog panel is lit, then it is likely that OUT4 is on.

Use the Alt-i display to verify that OUT4 turns green when Mist is on; and changes back to red when Mist is off. If that does not happen, then check to make sure you have not left it forced off, after using the Ctrl-Alt-F forcing option on the Alt-i screen. There should be no underline below the output.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Ok I did use the Alt-i and it/they are showing true/false when commanded

I am only looking for an ON/OFF contact
The VFD has its own power 5v and needs 2 leads to be sealed/latched on to run

Relay 9 N.O. held closed with M code

As of now, Relay 9 will operate with the Aux3 Key & led light
Need an M code to control ON/OFF of relay 9 so that I can command in a program

Output 4 mist cooling will operate per the Alt-i and key/led but I cant get continuity through contact.
I have never used the mist cooling so don't now if it ever worked or if the contact is bad.
Checked all the fuses.

I purchased this machine "used" several years ago.

Thanks
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you do not have reliable continuity from OUT4COM (7th terminal from left) to OUT4 (8th terminal from left) when Mist is on and OUT4 is green, then you have a faulty output relay; faulty Phoenix plug; or cracked solder connection. However, if you have no need of OUT4, then you can ignore that for now.

Your PLC program was written/modified to use OUT9 for spindle brake control; and OUT6 for Z axis servo brake control. Since you evidently do not need either of those features, you could just as well be using a current "standard" or "basic" PLC program, instead of a 10-year-old specialized one.
Moose

Post by Moose »

SO you are suggesting I replace the existing PLC program with standard new one?

Not sure why I would/should do that instead of modifying the existing unless its hard to do?
I hate doing anything more than necessary because in my experience it always causes more problems

I run a one man shop/business and don't have time to risk any additional issues
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That is sometimes a tough call.

On the one hand, there are probably dozens of minor bugs or shortcomings in the old program, which have been fixed over the years. There are also numerous minor enhancements and features that have been added.

On the other hand, if none of those bugs are affecting your use, and you are not missing any of the additions, then leaving well enough alone is a reasonable approach.

If you were to ask me to write, for hire, some additional feature more complex than "make a pair of M functions that turn OUT9 on and off", I would want to start with a current program, because I want to build on a foundation I trust, and I don't want to get into troubleshooting problems that turn out to be due to bugs that I fixed years ago (and have long since forgotten about).

The only feature change that immediately comes to mind, that you might have noticed in your current endeavors, is that your PLC program does not support inverting inputs or forcing outputs on the Alt-i screen. If you were to install a current program, then you could use those features.
Moose

Post by Moose »

I like the idea of updating
Looking at getting another machine as a backup for this product, then I would be more comfortable with updating

I have reached out to Tech Support and they are going to look and see if they can help.

If they can and the price is reasonable, I will have them do it.

Thanks