Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20234
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC 10 Issues

Post by rexcsmith »

I have a Millport Rhino 4/CNC 10 (SN 20234) that I've been running for the last 8 years or so with no issues. It is now presenting a crop of issues..
- Erratic startup. Sometimes starts, sometimes not. When it doesn't start, there are no lights illuminated on the console.
- Loses communication with the keyboard and Centroid key pad.
- DP-4 probe no longer detects surface. Destroyed stylus.

I have replaced the PC power supply.
tempImageiRLnW6.gif
tempImage06aJd4.gif
tempImage6S12CW.gif
Please let me know what other information might be needed to give me some guidance.

thanks much,
rex
tylerintesting
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: CNC 10 Issues

Post by tylerintesting »

Sending a report to Centroid is the best starting place. Following that one thing I'm curious to is what's going on under the hood when you try to start it up. On one of the attempts where it doesn't start, does the CPU fan kick on? Does the motherboard show signs of life? Is the PSU turning on? If you have a multimeter it might be worth looking at PSU voltages.
rexcsmith
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20234
CNC12: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by rexcsmith »

If it starts, the first thing you see on the screen is a little box that says... "No signal/VGA" Then it will go through its startup routine.
Sometimes, it will display that box and not go any further. I believe there is voltage on the board because I've put a new power supply in with same results. The fan doesn't kick on until there's enough heat. The motherboard doesn't seem to have lights even when things are working properly. There are lights on the back of the button panel when working.
How do I send a report to Centroid?

thanks much,
rex
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Rex:
FYI I did get your voice mail yesterday; I have not received any e-mail from you since August 28th.

The CPU fan should be turning, at least a thousand RPM or so, any time power is on; not just when the CPU is hot. If the fan is not turning as soon as power comes on, then it may have failed, and that may be a big part of the problem.

To make a Report, see http://www.cncsnw.com/report.htm

That said, a Report rarely has much to show regarding PC startup and freeze-up issues.

While you are checking on the CPU fan, also check whether the fan and heat sink assembly is still securely clamped over the CPU socket on the motherboard. Those plastic brackets are prone to breaking, allowing the heat sink to fall away from the CPU chip, so that the CPU chip then overheats and locks up or shuts down.