Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hardinge CHNC4 Retrofit

Post by lavrgs »

OK I am going to start things up, before I get too crazy I will have to start doing some troubleshooting. However I have never had a good understanding of what to look for in reports. If someone could provide a few pointers to files that should be looked at first I would appreciate it.
I haven't turned the machine on since September, when I went through the initial testing to ensure that spindle, servos and VFD where working. Today after only hooking up the four limit switches I got a notification that there were some changes related to the PLC... I have to go out for a while so I will get back to it shortly. As I recall I have some switches on the board that were disabling items and will need to be reviewed. This initial start did not get the servos moving but the encoders are working.
Thanks in Advance.
EDIT: things you remember after you leave; I had jumped the contractor to make my servos run the last time…
Attachments
report_0008DC111213-0821233001_2024-01-19_12-43-29.zip
(696.01 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I need a bit of a bump start...goal for today was to connect and test limit switches. I'm not sure if I have a disconnect or if I have misconfigured them.
I have connected power via TB1 11A & 13A ...I assume it' should feed the limit switch but I don't seem to be getting power>>I'll be diagnosing. limit switches are connected to input 11-14
I want to make sure I have the configuration correct for the normally open switches inverted - see screenshot.

when I try to move either axis I get errors 410 411 full power without motion which trips the contactor

EDIT: I got the 12Vdc power situation sorted. I can use the pusher block to actuate the -X axis limit switch by pushing it forward; I get indication on the screen. Pushing it to the rear does not seem to actuate the +X. There are three limit switches for the cross slide- the front two don't seem to activate and the rear one does activate -X. The middle is supposed to be a reference. I will check the wiring - this will always be the theme 9-)
Attachments
1-CHNC4 S14674.pdf
(195.18 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Screenshot 2024-01-25 171928.png
report_0008DC111213-0821233001_2024-01-25_17-14-08.zip
(700.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by lavrgs on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You have INP1 - INP6 forced on in software. That won't work.

INP1 - INP6 are hardware inhibits for the three axis drives on the Allin1DC. The inputs have to be physically closed in order for the drives to power the motors.

You are presumably not using the third axis drive, so INP5 and INP6 do not matter; but you must have physical closed circuits on INP1 - INP4 in order for the first two axis drives to work. Since you do not have actual normally-closed limit switches to connect there, the simplest solution is to toggle the limit defeater DIP switches to the ON position. And un-force the inputs so you can see what is really happening.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I made the changes to the axes and I defeated the limit switches. that allowed me to move both X and Z. When I un-defeated the switches I immediately got a 411 X axis full power without motion error. I changed the state via the diag screen and all conditions do not allow any motion.
I reset the switches to "defeat" and moved the axes to their limits and only +z changes state. For all limit switches the condition is green with a bar over. I will start checking the wiring. Should I expect a 12V signal when they trip?
EDIT I was not able to get to the -Z switch, I have to get the part chute out of the way. I understand the z sensor is magnetic - is there a way to activate it (Ref Hardinge CHNC4)
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I am pretty sure you can trigger the Z sensors with a permanent magnet. I am not sure if orientation matters.

Figure out what works to trigger the Z+ sensor (since you know that one works), then hold the magnet in front of the Z- sensor in the same orientation.

If you are measuring the voltage betwee the PLC input point and the 0V/COM voltage of the inputs supply, then you should expect ca. +12V when the sensor is not triggered, and ca. 0V when the sensor is triggered.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

centroid467 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:08 am If you'll pardon the web store links, we sell the same cable we use in our pre-wired assemblies and connector kits so you can build them to length. Servo and spindle encoders will be fine using the same cable type as long as the conductors physically fit the components.
Encoder cable: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... der-cable/
Motor power cable: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... wer-cable/
Connector kit: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... ector-kit/
Did Centroid provide the 30 conductor cable (Cable A) as part of their Hardinge retrofit? I believe it's Belden 9432(?) I wanted to get a piece with the same wire colors but have not found a source.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

Update; I can actuate the both +/- Z limit switches by moving the carriage. A magnet will actuate one of the switches but not both. I can live with that for now
I am not able to actuate either of the X limit switches by moving the cross slide. I was able to move the block for the cross slide and -X+ would actuate. I also actuated the three switches manually and only one caused a trip... more investigation required.
I was able to get the spindle spinning ...but control is not complete. I had a couple missing jumpers that got me spinning but I could only stop the spindle by manually changing output 7
EDIT ..Looks like I need to change Parameter 35 to 6...? >>it is at 6
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-27 101229.png
report_0008DC111213-0821233001_2024-01-27_10-13-40.zip
(849.97 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
lavrgs

X limit switch question

Post by lavrgs »

EDITED
It seems I have a couple bad switches p/n 47xl21-03 - I can find models that are close, I'm guessing the model number indicates it has a detached plunger>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/UxoPxHiRzhhALDDJ6. They LOOK like a standard microswitch but.. THEY ARE SOLID STATE Arghh
I am starting to wonder about replacing them with NC proximity sensors - would it be terrible to mix up Hardinge's perfect solution of using NO?..or is it better to find something close that can fit? or Can they be replaced with a DPST mechanical switch?

The center of Three switches is called "Coarse Home Adjust" not exactly sure what it does or how it fits into the Centroid scheme
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Any switch that fits into the space will work. Mechanical, inductive prox, Hall sensor, or whatever.

NC would be better than NO. If you installed NC switches or sensors, you could wire them to INP1 - INP4.

You only need the end limits (one plus and one minus, for each axis). You do not need the old home sensors (presumably the middle switch). The Centroid control will home off the plus limits.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 pm Any switch that fits into the space will work. Mechanical, inductive prox, Hall sensor, or whatever.

NC would be better than NO. If you installed NC switches or sensors, you could wire them to INP1 - INP4.

You only need the end limits (one plus and one minus, for each axis). You do not need the old home sensors (presumably the middle switch). The Centroid control will home off the plus limits.
Thanks
The switches are a standard footprint - I have some on order. I saw that others have put proximity sensors in place of the Z axis switches. Current plan would be to replace only the X . Is there a change required to where I hook up the limit switches? I expect I'll leave them at 13 14 15 16 for now and when I change over the Z axis I could move them all to 1-4.
When I look at the diagnostic screen the current inputs 13-16 are labelled for each switch How easy is it to change the PLC when I use 1-4? I know nothing about editing PLCs...

My other issue is controlling the speed of the spindle - it will run when I change state of Output 7 ( SpindleEnableOut_O) to Red (off). When the spindle runs I am unable to change the speed. When I change the VFD parameter controlling the spindle via the front panel the spindle will change via the potentiometer. My latest report is above