Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hardinge AHC Retrofit

Post by lavrgs »

Thanks CNCSNW that is very helpful. For someone who is early in the understanding of the controls for a cnc lathe every bit helps.

I continue to probe into all the pockets containing the items that are controlled. I have yet to attempt to rotate the turret - I would start with applying air, but will I need to activate solenoids? I have yet to go through all the reading material I have, but it would be nice to know the turret operates while I have time to dive in.

Not sure how long before I get the Allin1DC and associated parts - just ordered 8/28. I have about a month before I head out of town for a month so I would like to get the basics covered, and do some cutting. I am notoriously slow so excuse my optimism...9-)
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

Today I’m going to take a look at solenoids. I’d like to see the turret move…the plan is to apply 12vdc to see if they actuate and turn on air to try and see items move. If someone has a better way to approach the testing/actuation I’d like to hear it.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The turret index sequence, if you just want to see it work, is:
- Index solenoid on (turret rises up and spins)
- Stop solenoid on (turret stops spinning)
- Index solenoid off (turret drops slightly?)
- Stop solenoid off (turret locks down the rest of the way?)

If you just wire your solenoid coils to a couple pushbuttons, you can drive it by pushing the buttons.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:29 am The turret index sequence, if you just want to see it work, is:
- Index solenoid on (turret rises up and spins)
- Stop solenoid on (turret stops spinning)
- Index solenoid off (turret drops slightly?)
- Stop solenoid off (turret locks down the rest of the way?)

If you just wire your solenoid coils to a couple pushbuttons, you can drive it by pushing the buttons.
Off to a slow start...
I'm going to have to pull out schematics - the wiring is not set up to probe - it should all be bundled together in the motor control box. The cable to the control box was cut - with any luck the I can find the wires by color
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I continue to investigate all the components ; yesterday I opened the panel containing the coolant pump. I've read that some people add a VFD, for controlling flow of coolant...? I have not seen one so I guess it originally just ran full tilt. I checked out the coolant manifold - a couple missing knobs...one of which I had found in the chip tray...maybe I have a chicken head knob from my amp building parts.
The Vari-grip collet closer leaked badly when I connected air, I haven't had much luck with the closer - the only item that I can fit into it is a 16C to 5C adaptor and it is a bit rough, could be the problem with threading it in...I also have a 5C collet in it that got stuck 8-( fortunately its a hex collet so I should be able to get good purchase on it. The collet closer will have to come apart to check the seals etc. I found one great vid on YouTube about taking it apart... I got a 16C off Amazon and I will activate it by blowing air into the lines to see if it holds.>>FIXED
My attempt to activate solenoids didn't go well because the wires were to well sealed to put a probe on - I will have to identify the wires in the bundle at the motor control box...more later
I order the Allin1DC system and it's about two weeks out. In the meantime I will consider my options for eliminate the rolling cab...it may be possible to cut it from 36 inches tall to about 28 and mount it to the back of the lathe. It's 12 inches deep and I would prefer something shallower.
I continue to browse the tooling goldmine...there is a lot of stuff that I am not familiar with like the B&S 105-110-1...turns out its a releasing tapping head. I have 3 other Hardinge versions...looks like the $375 I paid for two boxes of tooling will assist with the rebuild cost...did I mention the lathe cost was $250? I have several project stories that start with the cost of the machine...like my $253 dollar Tree J325 that was Centroidized< last year, and the final cost was multi kilobux. But I like the way the stories start.

I also have a problem with picking up Hardinge lathes...key word "picking up" 30 Minutes before I arrived to pick up my Hardinge HC I got a call from the seller that it was face down in his driveway...I got a substantial cost reduction which paid for the repairs. The AHC had it's moment https://photos.app.goo.gl/ycYomrz21umoZK7a9 Yikes!!!
Last edited by lavrgs on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Are you sure that is an AHC? The chip guards and control cabinet arrangement make it look more like a CHNC4.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

cncsnw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:58 pm Are you sure that is an AHC? The chip guards and control cabinet arrangement make it look more like a CHNC4.
I am not 100% sure. I do have a serial number and will eventually call Hardinge to see what they say. I did go look at an image of a CHNC4 and it does look like mine. The unit was listed as a 1983 and the wiring diagram that came with mine agrees with that date...I did get an AHC manual with it...
Always learning!
Today I manually activated several pneumatic devices; Parts catcher, Slide, Collet closer. I am trying to find where I can access the turret raising line and then try to rotate the turret.
Last edited by lavrgs on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If yours is wired per Centroid's standard of the time, then the minus sides of the turret solenoids are on terminals 8 and 9 of TB5, right-most on the floor of the interconnect cabinet on the back of the headstock.

See section G5 of the attached diagram.

The plus sides of the turret solenoids share terminal 10 of TB5 with the input sensors (plus was connected all the time, minus was switched by PLC outputs OUT4 and OUT5).

You should be able to activate the turret-index solenoid by applying 12VDC to terminals 10 and 9.
You should be able to activate the turret-stop solenoid by applying 12VDC to terminals 10 and 8.
Attachments
MagCab2.jpg
HARDING1.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

That cabinet setup is very similar to mine...at first I thought it was mine but the grimey floor of mine didn't show itself...9-)
What are the two devices on the lower left? Do you happen to have a picture of the entire cabinet?
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: Hardinge CHNC4 Retrofit

Post by tblough »

The furthest left device on the bottom is a motor overload protector and the next one to the right is a contactor. Together they make a motor starter, probably for the coolant pump since it looks like the bottom of a VFD for the spindle in the upper right.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.