Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hardinge CHNC4 Retrofit

Post by lavrgs »

I had the Hardinge AHC delivered this week and have started an assessment of it's condition and what it will take to get running. I decided on the AHC after I had looked at a variety of cnc lathe options, most were based on something like a grizzly 0602 style machine. The AHC is a long ways from that ... smaller than other Hardinge CHNC versions and it had already been retrofitted with a Centroid Control, 5HP motor and Hitachi VFD.
After a quick look I have decided to go for the ALLIN1DC upgrade. The cost of the upgrade was already factored in, the cost of the machine, including delivery was under $2K...did I mention the amazing amount of tooling included? - the rotary broaching tool was the highlight
First Problem; The computer had the power supply cut out and the Centroid software that was contained on a flash drive is missing. Is there a way to recover that? The seller does not have it
Second task I would like to make sure the spindle is ok so I would like to start the motor. I built a power cord and the VFD turns on I will need to go in and set it up to run from the front panel. The VFD is a Hitachi SJ-100 Manual https://vfds.com/content/manuals/hitach ... manual.pdf There are several control lines going to the IO and Alarm connectors I assume I can leave those on and just switch a parameter to control with the front panel.
I will find the info for the motor to ensure the VFD is set properly ...and read the manual
I am considering putting controls on the back of the lathe https://photos.app.goo.gl/v2zjpUuS5TAmCPUZAon the right hand side, adjacent to the power entry.
Last edited by lavrgs on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Hardinge AHC Retrofit

Post by lavrgs »

First step prior to ordering the upgraded the controls was to make sure the spindle runs without any crunching - I can check that box. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3feH48Qg6rdvjeVy8
The second step is to determine where the new controls will reside. The original rolling cabinet is not a good fit for my space. I'm considering using the back of the lathe where there is an area 28 x24 inches that could be used. https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5S8AYs1YMfQJerX6 The power entry and switch will probably be incorporated into the new panel - I keep banging my head on that thing so it's got to go!!! The wiring in the lower mag cab can easily be routed out and up. Anything I'm missing?
I expect the Allin1dc, Power supply, PLC add1616, hub, computer (maybe) and estop will be in the cab. Are there CAD Models for Centroid components?
Does the Allin1dc need a power supply for the drives?
Last edited by lavrgs on Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

There are some components that have 3D models available but we do not currently have them for the ALLIN1DC and related components. I'll link them anyway: Centroid Solid Models. The ALLIN1DC mounting footprint is in the manual on the last page. Same goes for PLCADD1616.

As far as drive/motor power supply goes: you should be able to re-use the step down transformer and rectifier/cap combo from the SERVO1 in the old rolling cabinet. ALLIN1DC is rated for 20 - 180 volts and SERVO1 is rated for 80 - 150 volts so well within the range.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

centroid467 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:04 pm As far as drive/motor power supply goes: you should be able to re-use the step down transformer and rectifier/cap combo from the SERVO1 in the old rolling cabinet. ALLIN1DC is rated for 20 - 180 volts and SERVO1 is rated for 80 - 150 volts so well within the range.
What are my options for reduced power supply size? I'd like to get rid of the transformer...I think I need 100-110 dc - not exactly sure about the motors specs - they were part of a previous Centroid retrofit https://photos.app.goo.gl/ErFHhjpyffXQpVHRA
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The only way to get 100-110VDc from AC is a transformer. It you replace your servo motors with 170VDc rated motors, you can use direct rectification of 120VAc and do away with the transformer.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

tblough wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 pm The only way to get 100-110VDc from AC is a transformer. It you replace your servo motors with 170VDc rated motors, you can use direct rectification of 120VAc and do away with the transformer.
Thanks, the cool thing about this machine is that there is a lot of space underneath, lots of empty pockets, I'll figure something out.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I'm going through the Centroid Manual for retrofitting Hardinge HNC/CHNC machines. I am upgrading to the Allin1DC and am assuming that the I/O connections can be used as a reference. For example -Z is connected to Input 20...etc
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

That manual pre-dates the ALLIN1DC by 5 years. ALLIN1DC does not have an input 20 that is used for limit switches. I would use that manual as a general guide and look at the most suitable ALLIN1DC lathe schematic. Go to https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... rowse.php# and search "allin1dc lathe" and there will be results that correspond to the stock PLC programs.

See following post by cncsnw for correct information for this machine.

following text is not correct for this machine and should be disregarded:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersupport/schematics/uploads/S15060.r2.pdf]S15060[/url] should be a good reference considering the 8 tool turret on your machine. That schematic is for [i]Centroid-Standard-Lathe-ALLIN1DC-8te[/i] PLC program.
Last edited by centroid467 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

About the only thing that the Hardinge turret has in common with the Centroid 8-tool electric turret is that it has eight positions.

The Hardinge turret is controlled by two outputs, to pneumatic solenoids:
- The "Index" solenoid causes the turret to unlock and rotate (forward only)
- The "Stop" solenoid raises a cushioned pin that stops rotation.

The Hardinge turret has five input sensors:
- One that detects whether the turret is locked or unlocked
- Four from a position encoder, that provide a 4-bit binary position (values 1-8 when in position)

The Hardinge axis limit switches are normally-open sensors that close when a limit is tripped. These cannot be connected to INP1 - INP4 on the Allin1DC, because the axis drives would be inhibited in hardware when the limit switches were open. Therefore you have to leave INP1 - INP4 vacant (and defeat them with the DIP switches); and you have to wire the limit switches somewhere else, then invert them in software.

Caveat: all I know about Hardinge lathes of this style is based on HNC, CHNC and CHNC4 models. Maybe the AHC is different.

The attached schematics and Report are from a CHNC with this style turret and limit switches; originally retrofitted with a ca. 2003 rolling-cabinet SERVO1/PLCIO2 T39 control; which I upgraded a few years ago with an Allin1DC and PLCADD1616. I kept the rolling cabinet, and declined to redo the 2003 wiring even though a single-cabinet solution would have been cleaner.
Attachments
report_0409181941_2020-07-17_12-31-25.zip
(6.02 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
K103190_2.pdf
(197.95 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
K103190_1.pdf
(239.7 KiB) Downloaded 76 times