Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: SN:20783
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

404 Spindle Drive Fault

Post by PlasmaCNC »

I have a CNC that’s occasionally having a 404 Spindle Drive Fault.

It always happens at the end of a drilling run that is always the same, and is just about to do a tool change. Rather than the normal controlled stop, the spindle power is released and from inertia, free spins slowly to a stop.

Looking at the manual it says to look at the inverter for a fault. Looking at the display on that unit it says “oud”. Looking up its possible problems the error lists DC Bus over-voltage during Deceleration. The 3 trouble shooting steps, the 1st & 2nd are requesting voltage checks which I’m not too sure how to do. The 3rd idea is if DC Bus overvolt is due to Regenerative breaking, increase the Deceleration time or add an optional brake resistor. I’m sure the machine has a brake resistor that I have measured at 25 ohm’s.

The person who originally installed the machine set some of the parameters to different values over that from the factory. The one that stood out to me was Parameter #37, Spindle Deceleration Time. The factory was 10, it was at 3, I reset it to 10. However looking further at the explanations of the parameters, it seems likely this value has nothing to do with my problem and is related to Rigid Tapping.

So the question is what’s a practical way of monitoring bus voltage for a sporadic but increasing error? If its possible to solve with a longer deceleration time, how to set this?

The details of the machine, we have had the machine from new and never changed anything. The machine is ~ 15 years old and has been relatively trouble free tell recently. It’s made by Atrump Machinery Inc. It’s a model E216 / Maximill SN: 168. It has a Centroid controller M-series, CNC10 Version 2.32 DC310 SN:20783. The spindle controller is a Delta VFD-V.

The error reported after a typical drilling run of 450 holes at about 5000 RPM is code “404”. This results that rather than the normal controlled stop, the spindle power is released and from inertia, free spins slowly to a stop. Viewing the Delta VFT-V LED display its blinking “oud”.

I’m always able to reset and continue with no troubles for days or weeks tell this pops up again.

Thanks for any ideas,

- Ed
Centroid188
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: 404 Spindle Drive Fault

Post by Centroid188 »

You need to extend the decel time in the spindle inverter. Parameter 0-13.
Your inverter is most likely getting weak since it is older.
There is a Tech Bull # 183 on programming the Delta VFD-V
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/183.pdf
PlasmaCNC
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by PlasmaCNC »

Thanks Centroid188, this looks to be very helpful indeed. I much appreciate the help.

- Ed
PlasmaCNC

Post by PlasmaCNC »

Sadly still having the same problem.

I’ve changed Parameter 0-13 to see if this would solve my 404 Spindle Drive Fault that also shows “oud” blinking as the error on the Delta VFT-V inverter LED display. So the Parameter 0-13 was at the default value of 0. From the example in the inverter manual on page 4-56 they have an example of setting the Parameter 0-13 to the value 3. So thinking this is a reasonable value, changed it to that value. This changed the stop time for say 5750 RPM from about 3 seconds to about 9 seconds to come to a full stop. Unfortunately after thinking this had solved my problem the issue has again randomly reappeared. So I’ve updated the value to 4. However, the issue still appears at about the same general frequency.
So I’m not sure what would be the next available course of action other than to up the stop time still further.

Any ideas?

Thanks

- Ed
PlasmaCNC

Post by PlasmaCNC »

Hello Centroid Forum,

I’m still having occasionally a 404 Spindle Drive Fault.

I’ve changed Parameter 0-13 on the Delta VFD-VE inverter to see if this would solve my 404 Spindle Drive Fault that also shows “oud” blinking as the error on the Delta VFD-VE inverter LED display. So the Parameter 0-13 was at the default value of 0 was changed to the value of 3. The fault will still occasionally occur, though perhaps less frequently. Thinking I could increase it further, I set it to 4 and still have faults. I have then tried to go past the 4 setting to then find that this appears to be the limit. The Inverter will not accept a value past 4. So I’m at a bit of a quandary as to what to do next. I’ve checked the breaking resistor it is the value engraved on the unit, 25ohms. There is a mention of checking voltages on the Delta VFD-VE Inverter troubleshooting guide but its not very clear what it is and how to go about it.

It seems plausible I may have to ultimately replace the Inverter. Is this something that can be had from Centroid preprogrammed? Is it something that should be got from Atrump the mill manufacture? Or is it best to go directly to Delta? It seems to me being the electrical and software is from Centroid that a replacement via Centroid would be the most likely to be successful. Assuming there’s no other things to check and mitigate.

Any ideas, suggestions and help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

- Ed
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

What are your incoming AC voltages (L1 to L2; L2 to L3; and L1 to L3)?
PlasmaCNC

Post by PlasmaCNC »

Hi CNCNW,

My incoming AC Line voltages are:
L1 to L2 213.4
L2 to L3 213.4
L3 to L1 214.2

Without really knowing any better I would guess their all reasonably good?

Any further thoughts, ideas?

Thanks for helping

- Ed
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That should be well within the capacity of the drive, and therefore not likely to contribute to bus overvoltage issues.

If the machine and its VFD-V drive ran without issue for 15 years, then you started getting OVD faults under conditions you did not get them before, and the resistor is good, then it is likely there is some sort of failure in the braking transistor section of the drive.

You could replace the drive with any of several orient-capable drives from various manufacturers. The Delta C2000 (with its EMC-PG01L card for the encoder) would probably be the shortest path, with a reasonable balance of price and reliability.