Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20974
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

M400s controller will not power up

Post by Diamond3717 »

I have a Centroid model M400s on a Wells Index knee mill. Recently replaced power supply
On the controller computer. The reason for the power supply replacement was; incomplete boot ups, finally get to boot up and goes to blue screen, finally got the mill up and running and decided to leave it on overnight. Came next morning, blue screen.
Installed new power supply. Machine started working properly. Ran it probably a total of 30 hours, turn off turn on fine. Mill sat unused for about 3 days and controller will not power up.
Coin battery on the motherboard was dead. Replaced that one. I have added link for photos. See added photos for voltage reading across power cable to power supply. On the power plug for the power supply, I get 125 volts across hot and neutral; 38 volts across hot and ground; and 86.5 volts across neutral and ground.
I don’t know if I ever had a power supply problem. I installed a new power supply, the mill worked for about a week. Shut down, never came came on since. I have power to the cabinet on the machine. Nothing was done to the machine once it started working after power supply swap. The mill controller acts as if the power switch is off on the power supply. Controller cooling fan doesn’t even come on.
Thanks for any help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YipZQuGnGFCEZbMg9
cncsnw

Re: M400s controller will not power up

Post by cncsnw »

Controller cooling fan doesn’t even come on.
Do you mean the AMD CPU fan, on the heat sink over the CPU chip on the motherboard?
Or do you mean the fan in the ATX power supply?
Or do you mean the fan in the door of the gray control cabinet on the back of the mill column?

If the control cabinet fan is not running, then you have a blown fuse or tripped panel breaker.
If the cabinet fan is running, but the power-supply fan and CPU fan are not running, you should turn the power on, then try momentarily shorting the power-switch pins in the JFP1 block on the motherboard. See http://www.cncsnw.com/Motherboards.htm#MS7253
Diamond3717
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Diamond3717 »

Thanks for the reply, I’m going to try the manual reset described above. The fan I was referring to is the exhaust fan on the
Controller cabinet, powered by the power supply. I thought it should come on even if the it wouldn’t boot up.
Diamond3717

Post by Diamond3717 »

I did the manual reset per instructions. It worked. I touched the pins and the controller console powered up.
I went into to the bios power management and set the power up settings as described. I can power up and power down.
The next problem to come up is it will not finish the boot up. It stops in the same place every time.

This is a picture of where the boot up stops.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... IPDGBYpBQc

This is a video of the boot up.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... BLOuwc5Qmt

Thanks for any help.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Those links do not appear to be valid. Google.com reports a 404 error.

Maybe try uploading your video to YouTube?
Diamond3717

Post by Diamond3717 »

I have attached a .jpg of the controller screen page where the boot up stops. I can power on, start boot up. The boot up
scrolls through about two pages of syntax, then stops with the following message at the bottom of the page.

Request_module[block-major-3] Root fs is not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device “301 or 3:01
Please append a correct “root=“ boot option
Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 3:01

The boot up stops with this message. I have to power down to get out of the failed boot up.
Attachments
20230501_085231.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You may need to disable the integrated SATA controller.

See pages 3 and 4 of https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/114.pdf
Diamond3717

Post by Diamond3717 »

Once again, that worked. You are two for two. I disabled the SATA and the controller booted up

I don’t know if the power supply was the original problem, I put the new power supply in and it worked fine, for about a week, then quit.
I do know the battery I pulled out of the motherboard was dead. The computer clock was reset to Jan 1 2003. Along with the SATA setting.
The mill works fine now. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
6A79E1F4-71F0-48CE-A25C-176E88FA599B.jpeg