Problem with output of lathe spindle analog signal <resolved, incorrect PLC program>

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

sbaer
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0008dc111213-1119212671
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Problem with output of lathe spindle analog signal <resolved, incorrect PLC program>

Post by sbaer »

This forum has been a great resource for me, it has helped me set up the dual handwheels on the the flatbed lathe I am retrofitting in a way that I am pretty happy with. I have one problem that I have not managed to solve and it has to do with the speed control of the spindle.
My lathe has a three speed gearbox but for now I am just trying to get it to work of a single speed, the high speed or default. The spindle VFD is a Delta VFD-A which is configured to accept a 0-10v analog input.
The spindle works but there I can't get the analog output to follow the gcode commanded speed. It is not only a scaling problem but an offset problem, if in manual mode increasing the speed by using the "plus" button on the VCP raises the Output voltage to a point but then it reduces it. In automatic mode the spindle there is a similar problem.

I have a feeling that the problem comes from having the wrong setup of the DIP switches on the All-in-one board, but no amount of random playing with the dip switches solves my problem. I have not found any documentation for how the dip switches work.

I have attached a report in case this helps.
Attachments
report_0008DC111213-1119212671_2022-11-05_21-37-52.zip
(642.22 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Problem with output of lathe spindle analog signal

Post by eng199 »

https://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/c ... manual.pdf
Page 7 in the User Guide appendix.

output_ranges.JPG
output_ranges.JPG (22.58 KiB) Viewed 974 times

Disconnect the wiring to the VFD and measure the analog output voltage if it continues to be a problem with the correct DIP switch settings.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

sbaer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:37 am This forum has been a great resource for me, it has helped me set up the dual handwheels on the the flatbed lathe I am retrofitting in a way that I am pretty happy with. I have one problem that I have not managed to solve and it has to do with the speed control of the spindle.
My lathe has a three speed gearbox but for now I am just trying to get it to work of a single speed, the high speed or default. The spindle VFD is a Delta VFD-A which is configured to accept a 0-10v analog input.
The spindle works but there I can't get the analog output to follow the gcode commanded speed. It is not only a scaling problem but an offset problem, if in manual mode increasing the speed by using the "plus" button on the VCP raises the Output voltage to a point but then it reduces it. In automatic mode the spindle there is a similar problem.

I have a feeling that the problem comes from having the wrong setup of the DIP switches on the All-in-one board, but no amount of random playing with the dip switches solves my problem. I have not found any documentation for how the dip switches work.

I have attached a report in case this helps.
hi, when you get a chance please update the cnc12 software to the latest. v4.18 is an older version that has been replaced by v4.22 and soon to be released v5.0
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
sbaer

Post by sbaer »

Thanks, I tried every combination of the dip switches but nothing works. The output of the ALLIN1 does go between 0 and 10v but it is all over the map in comparison to the commanded (gcode) speed. I have made a plot from actual values that I observed
Attachments
Centroid screen2.jpg
Spindle plot.jpg
Centroid screen.jpg
sbaer

Post by sbaer »

Some more information
From what I can tell the two trim pots on either side of the dip switches don't do anything when I turn them.
The VFD responds as it should to the voltage level and the voltage as measure at the ALLIN1 terminals does not change when I unhook the connection to the VFD (VFD is not pulling down signal)

What am I missing?
Attachments
Centroid screen3.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Maybe the problem is that you are running an Oak PLC program, but you have an Allin1DC control board.

The Oak has a 16-bit DAC. The Allin1DC has a 12-bit DAC. The math is different.

Use a PLC program written for the Allin1DC.
sbaer

Post by sbaer »

Thanks I will look into that
centroid467
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

We set the ALLIN1DC trim pots here in the factory as part of our production test. After fiddling with them like that, you'll need to set them properly using a multimeter and the MDI. The procedure can be found in the ALLIN1 install manual on page 110: https://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/c ... manual.pdf

Disconnect any load from the DAC output before you start. Use the MDI to command minimum spindle speed to adjust OFFSET pot and maximum spindle speed for the GAIN pot. If you have a higher resolution (4.5 digits or >10000 counts) multimeter available, I would suggest using it.
sbaer

Post by sbaer »

Made the changed the PLC code to use the twelve bit settings and it works properly now

Thanks everyone