CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Machine Abrupt Shutdowns

Post by amweiner89 »

Hello,

We work with an MPU11 type CNC controller with a GPIO4D PLC on a 3 axis milling machine. We recently made the CNC12 upgrade to use a wireless MPG to be able to control the machine from outside of a safety cage. Ever since we updated the PLC program and parameters, the machine will on occasion just shut itself down and throw an MPG1 Encoder Error alarm. I do not know if the shutdown is tied to that alarm or not, because it seems like we always see that alarm when we first power on the machine. I have already disabled the encoder alarm messages and faults via the parameters but that has not done anything.

I have attached our most recent report from the machine for review. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I ended up having to somewhat Frankenstein the PLC program together to get the wireless MPG to work correctly since our PLC program was a custom one. I do have full functionality of the wireless MPG other than feed rate override now though.

I also included the source code for our PLC program. It's based on a standard available one from Centroid.
Attachments
gpio4d-optic-direct-basic-Rongfu_AW.src
(119.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
report_0008DC111213-0723141022_2023-03-16_14-25-47.zip
(638.44 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
cncsnw

Re: Machine Abrupt Shutdowns

Post by cncsnw »

Could you expand upon what "just shut itself down" means?

Does the computer turn off and the screen go dark?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Without necessarily addressing the "shutdown" issue, you could use the attached PLC program.

It supports basic mill functions with a GPIO4D/OpticDirect combination; supports the wireless MPG and VCP; and has about ten years worth of bug fixes, typo fixes, and miscellaneous improvements that are missing from your old program.

It uses the Alt-i screen for input inversion, rather than Parameter 178. You would need to use Ctrl-Alt-i on the Alt-i display to invert INP9, since you evidently have a normally-open lube-fault signal (or no lube-fault signal at all). Otherwise, it should work just fine. Your old PLC program, in spite of being named as if it were specifically for "Rongfu" machines, does not appear to have anything special in it.
Attachments
report_PLCInstall_OpticDirectBasicWMPG_230316.zip
(96.53 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
amweiner89
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by amweiner89 »

The screen goes dark, and the only alarm we see is the MPG encoder error.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I am not sure how you can see there is an MPG encoder error message, if the screen has gone dark.

I am guessing you mean that there was a "412 MPG1 encoder error" message on the screen ever since you started up CNC12, and it ran fine for some seconds or minutes, but then sometime later the screen went dark.

Chances are, if you look at the computer itself, you will also see that the computer has shut down: the CPU fan is no longer turning, the power supply fan is no longer turning, and if you should happen to have any LEDs powered by the PC, they are off.

If that is the case, you probably have either a failing PC power supply, or a broken CPU heat sink bracket. Either the PC power supply is shutting itself down, perhaps after it warms up too much; or the CPU is overheating due to the broken heat sink bracket, and is forcing a shutdown to protect itself.
amweiner89
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by amweiner89 »

You are correct, we see the error message prior to the shutdown.

Your overheating idea is probably worth investigating, but this behavior did not begin until we started implementing the software updates.