Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Software enhancements request

Post by dplain »

If there is going to be Abs/Inc entry, there needs to be a visual indication of the current mode.

Needless to say, this should *not* be tied to the similar entry mode selection over on the Offset Library screen, in the Lathe software.
As far as lathe/mill WCS tables are concerned let's KISS.

Do not toggle between "absolute" and "incremental" input modes. Leave the "ENTER" key function as it does now were the typed value is written to the high-lighted entry.

Have a "SET" button that copies the current machine axis position to the high-lighted entry.

Have a "INCR ENTRY" button that adds the typed value to the high-lighted entry.

Have a "CLEAR WCS" button that clears the high-lighted WCS. For the nervous you might put in an "Are you sure?" prompt if you like.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Sword wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm Here's one for sometime down the road. I'd like to see an option for Z axis 100X lock out for the MPG (only use 10X or 1X). This has bit me a few times when first starting out, but have learned my lesson. Using the MPG to jog XY around and forget to dial it down to 10X before jogging the Z axis down. A 0.5" solid carbide v-bit (3 face ground to a point) looked like a railroad spike driven into my softwood board before it faulted out! :o
done..will be in the next build!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Sword »

You guys are on a roll!! 8-)
Scott
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Thanks,
great team we have on the CNC12 merge project (v5.0).
as always, we love to hear suggestions for CNC features and improvements from our customers.
we've got big plans for future but, short term focusing efforts on one installer for CNC12 (v5.0) across all platforms (Oak/Allin1DC/Acorn/AcornSix/Hickory/MPU11)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
classicgameswi
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900294

Post by classicgameswi »

My biggest dislike of the centroid control is the lack of a separate rapid override, I have worked with Mazaks for around 10 years and just can't get used to not being able to separately control the rapid speeds for first parts.

Would be awesome to be able to dial down the rapids but leave feeds alone.
S-K Machine
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901038

Post by S-K Machine »

I have been working on my cylinder head trunnion plate the last few weeks.
20230325_132817.jpg
Yesterday I began to put in the dowel holes and tap some of the holding bolts with a single profile 4 tooth thread mill.
Using the centroid software was very simple and straight forward. The only trouble was that when I was adjusting the diameter in the software to obtain the proper fit, that meant going in and out of the same hole a few times, each pass taking a slightly larger cut.
When now moving over to "fresh" hole of full diameter of cut it was still too tight of a fit. It took a few "spring" passes to get it right.
Reading up on threadmilling, Scientific Cutting Tools, Iscar, OSG and others suggest making multiple passes with lowering the percentage each pass.

Quote from SCT:
When cutting a thread with two passes, cut approximately 65 percent of the thread on the first pass and 35 percent on the finish pass.
For three passes, use a 50/30/20 ratio. For four passes, use a 40/27/20/13 ratio.
The idea is to equalize the side cutting pressure.

Keith, is it possible to add this into the thread mill cycle? So if you select anything more than 1 pass, it would automatically adjust the percentage?
I know this is a major code re-write, and something that is not as simple as 1-2-3.But it would be a nice feature to have cutting harder materials.

Thanks.
Jeff
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

S-K Machine wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm I have been working on my cylinder head trunnion plate the last few weeks.
20230325_132817.jpg
Yesterday I began to put in the dowel holes and tap some of the holding bolts with a single profile 4 tooth thread mill.
Using the centroid software was very simple and straight forward. The only trouble was that when I was adjusting the diameter in the software to obtain the proper fit, that meant going in and out of the same hole a few times, each pass taking a slightly larger cut.
When now moving over to "fresh" hole of full diameter of cut it was still too tight of a fit. It took a few "spring" passes to get it right.
Reading up on threadmilling, Scientific Cutting Tools, Iscar, OSG and others suggest making multiple passes with lowering the percentage each pass.

Quote from SCT:
When cutting a thread with two passes, cut approximately 65 percent of the thread on the first pass and 35 percent on the finish pass.
For three passes, use a 50/30/20 ratio. For four passes, use a 40/27/20/13 ratio.
The idea is to equalize the side cutting pressure.

Keith, is it possible to add this into the thread mill cycle? So if you select anything more than 1 pass, it would automatically adjust the percentage?
I know this is a major code re-write, and something that is not as simple as 1-2-3.But it would be a nice feature to have cutting harder materials.

Thanks.
Jeff
yeah,i'll put it on the list for the intercon rewrite.
for now this is what i do for this case.

in intercon add several 1 pass threadmill cycles in a row with increasing diameters.
jpmsteadi
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F1121A-1204204111

Post by jpmsteadi »

classicgameswi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm My biggest dislike of the centroid control is the lack of a separate rapid override, I have worked with Mazaks for around 10 years and just can't get used to not being able to separately control the rapid speeds for first parts.

I agree with this 110%

I started on centroid and once I got a Fanuc machine as well I really really love the rapid override. Almost always I know my feedrate and spindle is correct, its just making sure I don't crash on something silly with a rapid. Really the only thing fanuc has over centroid, but it would be nice if you all could add it!
occustoms

Post by occustoms »

jpmsteadi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:59 pm
classicgameswi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm My biggest dislike of the centroid control is the lack of a separate rapid override, I have worked with Mazaks for around 10 years and just can't get used to not being able to separately control the rapid speeds for first parts.

I agree with this 110%

I started on centroid and once I got a Fanuc machine as well I really really love the rapid override. Almost always I know my feedrate and spindle is correct, its just making sure I don't crash on something silly with a rapid. Really the only thing fanuc has over centroid, but it would be nice if you all could add it!
ALso agree. That's what i want as well. Its a shame something that simple that has ben around forever isn't already done on centroid. As they have a ton of things that are totally awesome that you can do. How did this get overlooked for so long?
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

It probably has not been implemented yet because Centroid controls circa 2000 have historically had only one feed rate control knob.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.