Software enhancements request

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

cncsnw

Re: Software enhancements request

Post by cncsnw »

What is the functional or operational benefit of "clearing" all the WCS locations?

For the typical user, does that functional benefit outweigh the undesirable consequences of making it very easy to undo all of your WCS-setting work?

In my opinion, for the small handful of users whose sense of aesthetics is mortally offended by not having zeros in all those other columns, it is trivially simple to write an M function macro that performs this task, and map it to an Aux key. There is no need to clutter the CNC12 interface with features that serve no useful purpose.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tblough »

This is a request to improve the communication to the user. This is not a bug, or an error, but in the probing routines, if you specify a retract distance greater than your travel available in Z+, the routine does it's first two touches and then just stops with probing error. You are left scratching your head and attempting to run the probe cycle again and again. There is nothing that helps you locate the problem until your escape all the way out back to the main screen and see the g-code and the Z-axis travel error.

Would it be possible to add a check at the beginning of a probe routine to to verify sufficient Z travel exist and display a message to the user if that is not the case and prohibiting the cycle from starting?

Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
EastMemphis
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF98BF3B-0325225816

Post by EastMemphis »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:31 pmthe shop bots i've seen didn't have a machine coordinate system, and i think the shop bot after a power cycle just put up the last known DRO position and hoped for the best (did the table move?)
Yes, that's what I meant.

As for parking at 0,0, that would be impractical but it would be quite excellent if there was an M code or something to set the DRO position. I could work with that quite well.

I may be a bit backward in the way I do things but it works for me and I like doing it this way. My machine is only touched by me and once parked, the gantry never moves until it's under power again.
cnckeith
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

EastMemphis wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:36 pm
cnckeith wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:31 pmthe shop bots i've seen didn't have a machine coordinate system, and i think the shop bot after a power cycle just put up the last known DRO position and hoped for the best (did the table move?)
Yes, that's what I meant.

As for parking at 0,0, that would be impractical but it would be quite excellent if there was an M code or something to set the DRO position. I could work with that quite well.

I may be a bit backward in the way I do things but it works for me and I like doing it this way. My machine is only touched by me and once parked, the gantry never moves until it's under power again.
you can do that now,parameter 5 = 1 then just create your own m code to do that, call it what you want, assign it to a VCP button if you want, and/or use MDI to execute it.

then your work flow would be, turn on machine, press a VCP button and you are good to go.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

tblough wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:26 pm This is a request to improve the communication to the user. This is not a bug, or an error, but in the probing routines, if you specify a retract distance greater than your travel available in Z+, the routine does it's first two touches and then just stops with probing error. You are left scratching your head and attempting to run the probe cycle again and again. There is nothing that helps you locate the problem until your escape all the way out back to the main screen and see the g-code and the Z-axis travel error.

Would it be possible to add a check at the beginning of a probe routine to to verify sufficient Z travel exist and display a message to the user if that is not the case and prohibiting the cycle from starting?

good one, yep.

will send to swissi as well, (maybe he is already doing this check?)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:55 pm What is the functional or operational benefit of "clearing" all the WCS locations?

For the typical user, does that functional benefit outweigh the undesirable consequences of making it very easy to undo all of your WCS-setting work?

In my opinion, for the small handful of users whose sense of aesthetics is mortally offended by not having zeros in all those other columns, it is trivially simple to write an M function macro that performs this task, and map it to an Aux key. There is no need to clutter the CNC12 interface with features that serve no useful purpose.
i agree, i cringed as well at the idea of having the clear all button , it is a disaster waiting to happen,(i've spent hours on some machines getting fixtures setup correctly) and having one button there to blow away that work easily would suck, i could imagine one operator blowing away another operators work.. ugh) so if we are going to do this...its going to backup the wcs before zero'ing it.

and i like marcs idea to just make a macro do it
EastMemphis
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF98BF3B-0325225816

Post by EastMemphis »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:43 pm you can do that now,parameter 5 = 1 then just create your own m code to do that, call it what you want, assign it to a VCP button if you want, and/or use MDI to execute it.

then your work flow would be, turn on machine, press a VCP button and you are good to go.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf
Thanks! Where there's a way, there's the will.
dplain
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by dplain »

What is the functional or operational benefit of "clearing" all the WCS locations?

If there are several WCS that are non-zero the operator may think that the coordinates of a particular WCS have been set (and they are) but not to what is expected. If an entry is all zeros then it is clear that that WCS is not set. It's better to accidentally try and run a program with a zero WCS that one with not zeros. If the values are zero you will likely get an over-travel alarm or it may not even touch the part. Besides, if the operator accidentally hits the "clear all" button he does not have to hit "save" retaining all of the original values.
"Clutter the control" with no useful purpose. Hmmm, you mean like not having wear entries in tool offsets. Do you mean little cartoon pictures of the tool and work piece where you have to push a couple of button to set axes? Do you mean the VCP? Do you mean not being able to "nudge" WCS by an arbitrary incremental amount? Do you mean Auto/Man for spindle and coolant control?
dplain
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by dplain »

As far as G65 functionality. In Fanuc and Haas any G65 argument that is not explicitly passed is assigned to be "not-a-number" or "null" instead of "zero" like Centroid. This allows the macro to test the argument for example:

IF [ #7 NE #0] GOTO100
#7= 2. (assign a default value since none was passed)
N100

This is a minor request, usually I can pass a "zero" argument as 0.00001 and accomplish a similar function.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

you can nuge the WSC values without typing .001" at a time with F3/F4
i added Abs/Inc switch to make it easy to add or subtract from existing value.
i added Clear All, but now thinking about changing that to just "Clear" and it does one WCS at a time rather than clearing ALL 18 of them.
new wcs menu.png
one button set current WCS XY, XYZ etc can easily be accomplished with VCP buttons and a macro.
set wsc xy 0.png
set wsc xy 0.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
adding Tom's return point "Teach" function next!