Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

2001 Milltronics retrofit path

Post by Wolfenstien »

Good evening all,

I have a 2001 Milltronics RH20 that I bought several years ago. Despite really enjoying machining i've not been able to put much time into it over the last few year. One of the things that has kept me from utilizing this mill is the control. From my understanding its is a very decent control, very capable and conversational etc. However every time I go to use it, it takes me a couple hours to get used to it again. Since most of my projects are smaller it tends to keep me from using it.

A couple years ago I bought a second oak board with the intention of retrofitting another turning center (Moris SL1A). However I've already got a nardini lathe with a centroid control that is more suited to my turning needs and a large tool room type mill would be nice to have.

I really like that this machine has 40" X 20" XY travels and box ways in addition to a large heavy duty spindle with an 6000 rpm, 15 hp spindle. Some were equipped with tool changers, but this one was not which makes it an ideal candidate for a retrofit in my opinion.

The questions for you are:
1) Is there any reason to even consider putting an acorn in this machine instead of the OAK. (Which would just get saved for another build).
2) I'm assuming the retrofit would mostly be focused on removing the control and getting the machine interfaced with the new board.
3) Thoughts on the complexity level of this retrofit?

Thanks for your input.
-Joel
Attachments
20230131_223300.jpg
20230131_223400.jpg
20230131_223244.jpg
20230131_223345.jpg
20230131_223229.jpg
20230131_223238.jpg
20230131_223252.jpg
cncsnw

Re: 2001 Milltronics retrofit path

Post by cncsnw »

That should be a very straightforward retrofit with the Oak.

The SGDB drives are nearly plug-and-play with off-the-shelf Yaskawa cables from Centroid.

I would run the drives in analog velocity mode (which they are almost certainly configured for already). However, if you are more comfortable with position mode, they can be reconfigured to run that way.

That is a very nice spindle drive.

I worked on a Milltronics Partner 7F last year. It was a smaller machine with DC servos, eight or ten years older than yours, but similarly equipped. Its most notable deficiency was cheesy limit switches, badly wired. However, that is something that is easy enough to remedy at your leisure.
Wolfenstien
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Wolfenstien »

After a bit of a break I'm back on this project. I was able to reach out to milltronics and receive a copy of the electronics manual for this machine. I've attached it below. I also am attaching a word document below with my intended wiring.

Starting on page 38 of the Milltronics electrical manual they specify the function of each pin on the 14 pin connectors that hook up to the milltronics control. There are 16 total connectors. Just for giggle I went ahead and bought the male connectors and 3d printed a mounting bracket and am going to Essentially install it as a terminal block. That way I can screw in all the existing wiring from the machine without cutting wiring.

There are a number of items in the milltronics manual that have me confused. A good bit of it is just going to be nomenclature. I'm not sure if anyone is willing to take the time to double check my wiring plan but its laid on in the word document. I started by notating all the wires that area actually hooked up to the 14 pin connectors and right them down. Then for each wire I'm determining where it should attach to the oak board.

A few of the wires I believe are no longer needed. For example: Creep speed, spindle at speed, and spindle zero speed are available, but I don't believe they are necessary. Additionally there are few that I could probably use with a little massaging of the PLC but I'm likely to avoid for example: Spindle orient detent, and Air pressure.
Attachments
E-CE RH Sigma1 with MC5 Rev 9.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
2001 Milltronics RH 20 - Wiring plan.docx
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Wolfenstien

Post by Wolfenstien »

Here is a photo of the intended 14 pin connector array.

I'll be following Marc's advise and buying cables for the servo drives.
Attachments
20240202_194229.jpg
Wolfenstien

Post by Wolfenstien »

Hoping Marc will have a chance to chime in on the word doc I posted above. There were a number of places on the wiring I wasn't confident with.

Regarding a PC for this unit these Nucboxs appear to meet the specs and are pretty affordable.

I believe I mostly need to order the computer, the servo cables to interface with the oak, a touchscreen monitor, and some bits and pieces for getting the monitor and oak mounted.
Wolfenstien

Post by Wolfenstien »

Apparently that link above didn't come through. I'll see if I can upload a screenshot. Its and N100 processor which has a single core thread performance of 1937.

Just want to make sure I have the wiring mentioned above cleared up before I start ordering stuff.
Attachments
N100.png
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Hoping Marc will have a chance to chime in on the word doc I posted above. There were a number of places on the wiring I wasn't confident with.
I am overloaded with jobs for paying customers right now, so will not have time to review your list.

I always connect the spindle zero-speed signal from the spindle drive to the PLC. If the machine has pneumatic tool release operated by a pushbutton, the zero-speed input allows the PLC to prevent attempting to operate the drawbar until the spindle has finished decelerating to a stop. In other applications it is useful for holding off a spindle brake; or waiting for the spindle to stop before inserting a tool into a linear rack; or waiting for the spindle to stop before shifting gears with an auto gear changer; etc.. A power drawbar is probably the only thing that applies to your machine.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

oak with these drives, instructions
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/295.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html