PLC to VCP communication/VCP buttons (All-In-One)

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: PLC to VCP communication/VCP buttons (All-In-One)

Post by cnckeith »

again, what kind of custom buttons?? what function(s)??

some users think you HAVE TO edit the PLC program or modify skin events to do things that are already baked in the cake, and all you do is configure it and start using it. can't give you any direction or guidance until you clearly define what you want to do.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Thinkin
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: a900780
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Thinkin »

Ha. Like many of these problems, the solution is often staring you straight in the face. Maybe. I accidentally named my test code tool_tighten_I instead of tool_tighten_SV. I had the skin event done properly the whole time. I assume it's fine to use a _SV directly as a SET trigger for some memory bits.

Sorry for the delay, millwright life putting out fires and dealing with emergencies with customers. This is my personal machine and it always slips to dead last but I am booking lighter until I get it going. I should be able to go from here and start testing code. I already got the tool tightener to respond, drop the tool motor, wait a second then engage the motor drive. Everything clicked in my brain and now this is easy! Now I can start hammering out code to get all the basic functions working.

My game here is to learn how the code works. This machine has a swing arm tool changer with a 24 position geneva drive and last I checked no canned operation supports that unless someone has added it in the last year? And I have to do weird stuff like the timer for the air powered engagement of a electric motor so the tool tightening/loosening is a multi-step process. I figured maybe I'd write one from scratch as a good exercise in figuring out this code. Plus I support a lot of weird machinery with my contracting business. Maybe this hardware is worth supporting in the future.

The only thing that I'd like to see a example of is counting. The CVT and Tool changer both have to count up and down when they move to know where they are so I'll have to dig out some examples at some point.
Lagunmatic 310/all in one swap. First kick at the can.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

there centroid provided swing arm and umbrella, rack mount ATC programs available. these are great starting place to modify to suit your application.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Thinkin

Post by Thinkin »

Oh really. I bought this things in 2019 then got busy. The. CNC12 came along. At the time with the CNC 12 software I was told there was no swing arm support, just umbrella. But. Guess I’ll need to do some digging and find that. Makes my life much easier.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Swing-arm tool changer with air-wrench power drawbar? Sounds like a QuickDraw.

Did this come on your Lagun?
Thinkin

Post by Thinkin »

Yes, but air engagement over electric impact gun. Someone installed a old craftsman electric but it works like a charm.

I already backed up and downloaded the latest version of cnc12. I can copy paste the i/o code and buttons easy enough. I’m not sure what I should restore vs redo. Currently I have cnc12.20 plc version, no ATC installed.
Thinkin

Post by Thinkin »

@cnckeith, I am (finally) installing the new centroid swing arm software but much like when I installed 12.40 the swing arm tab is blank, same as last time. There is multiple versions of the umbrella changer software however so it looks like I'm probably smarter to just try modifying one of the umbrella programs? I have quite a few options. I expect to do some custom code of course, but I think I can wrap my noodle around the code now.

Any suggestions on which one I should start with? The swing arm changer has a 24 tool geniva drive with a single switch for finding zero then it counts up and down, one pulse per tool as it passes by. I attached a pic of my tool changer.

I also have a CVT drive and a 2 speed gearbox up top. I'm running a VFD on the motor now (0-10V speed control and monitoring was working). But getting the CVT to automatically count up and down is an optional thing. It's all wired up off of the PLC already.

IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

None of the factory-supplied PLC programs are going to have built-in support that remotely resembles the sequence you need for the QuickDraw.

One of the "umbrella" programs would probably be a better starting point, since your system does require a sequence of steps to:
1) Rotate the carousel to the put-back location for the tool in the spindle
2) Remove the tool from the spindle and put it in the carousel
3) Rotate the carousel to the location of the new tool
4) Remove the new tool from the carousel and put it in the spindle
5) Return the tool changer to its parked-out-of-the-way position.

Are you planning to keep the old QuickDraw controller, and interface with it at its higher level (i.e. with commands like "rotate to next position" and "move tool from spindle to carousel" and "move tool from carousel to spindle")?

Or are you planning to control the I/O directly with the Centroid PLC (i.e. with commands like "power the solenoid that swings the arm" and "wait for the arm-at-spindle sensor to close")?

The former would be simpler in the short term, as long as the old controller still works reliably. The latter approach would probably be more reliable and serviceable in the long term, but will require you do more research into the devices and sequencing.
Thinkin

Post by Thinkin »

I am moving everything using the centroid PLC (already installed and wired). The original controller was from 1982 so I scrapped everything and started over. (bought the machine as a incomplete conversion project already ripped apart and redid it for centroid)

I think I can get a good handle on the sequencing. I have a lot of PLC experience and I think (?) that I have this centroid software kinda figured out. Probably. (first time programming for it but I had the last iteration doing a few things and custom screen buttons functioning)

Any suggestion as to which umbrella program I should run? There are a few.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Whichever one makes sense to you when you read the source file; read the M6 macro; and look at any available documentation.

Personally, I prefer a very different approach to the one that the factory programs use. I put the ATC sequence in the PLC logic rather than in the CNC macro. This precludes stepping through in single block mode, but it allows the PLC program to check for errors more effectively, and it allows devices to be controlled without having to synchronize with a CNC program cycle. See http://www.cncsnw.com/OakUnifiedPLCHowTo.htm and http://www.cncsnw.com/UnifiedATCUmbrell ... orInst.htm. There is an Allin1DC version in that package, as well as an Oak version.