Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Yaskawa encoder on other brand servo

Post by eng199 »

krissondors wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 am While I most likely not end up using these servos, I know a few people who want to retrofit their old Cincinnati Arrow CNCs while using their old motors so if my motor can be used to help out others, that would be awesome.
While I hate to discourage philanthropy, this is not the path I would take. At a little over 1kW, this size motor can be replaced at low cost. This avoids any potential problems with a 25 (?) year old motor. 6 pole encoders are not stocked by Centroid. This would be a custom order, which normally takes 4-6weeks. However, encoder suppliers are still recovering from parts shortages, so the lead time is unknown. A new encoder may take custom work to adapt to the motor (required before sending to Centroid). Motor evaluation typically takes 4 hours at $90/hr plus shipping to and from central PA. Normally, only very large motors are reused. Small and medium motors are in the market "sweet spot" for replacement.
krissondors
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by krissondors »

eng199 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:53 pm
krissondors wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 am While I most likely not end up using these servos, I know a few people who want to retrofit their old Cincinnati Arrow CNCs while using their old motors so if my motor can be used to help out others, that would be awesome.
While I hate to discourage philanthropy, this is not the path I would take. At a little over 1kW, this size motor can be replaced at low cost. This avoids any potential problems with a 25 (?) year old motor. 6 pole encoders are not stocked by Centroid. This would be a custom order, which normally takes 4-6weeks. However, encoder suppliers are still recovering from parts shortages, so the lead time is unknown. A new encoder may take custom work to adapt to the motor (required before sending to Centroid). Motor evaluation typically takes 4 hours at $90/hr plus shipping to and from central PA. Normally, only very large motors are reused. Small and medium motors are in the market "sweet spot" for replacement.
I really appreciate the honesty response. It definitely seems that the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I wanted to to explore my options and it's obvious that keeping the original motors aren't worth it.

Again, I really appreciate everyone explaining the pros and cons and taking the time to respond!
aamir
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by aamir »

I used the new motor Delta asda2 in most Cincinnati retrofit