Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Yaskawa encoder on other brand servo

Post by krissondors »

I'm coming to the realization that the Yaskawa servo motors I bought are physically too large for my retrofit and doesn't make sense to try to use them for 2 of the 3 axis.

I still have the old servo motors from the machine that I am retrofitting. Is it possible or even worth it, to adapt the Yaskawa encoder on my old servos? My intention is that if I can make it work and fool the drives into thinking it's a Yaskawa motor, then I can use the tuning software and easily diagnose alarms from my laptop. I already have the wiring for everything and I/O cables for the Sigma 5 servopacks to the Oak.
Thanks!
Attachments
20230122_215016.jpg
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Yaskawa encoder on other brand servo

Post by eng199 »

I believe the motor type will be read from encoder memory. So yes, you will trick the Yaskawa drive into thinking a Yaskawa motor is attached. However, chances are that the old motor is nothing like the new motor (different winding inductance, winding resistance, current rating, etc.). So the drive will not run the motor optimally, or at all. Be prepared to damage the drive and motor.
krissondors
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by krissondors »

eng199 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:17 am I believe the motor type will be read from encoder memory. So yes, you will trick the Yaskawa drive into thinking a Yaskawa motor is attached. However, chances are that the old motor is nothing like the new motor (different winding inductance, winding resistance, current rating, etc.). So the drive will not run the motor optimally, or at all. Be prepared to damage the drive and motor.
I appreciate the response! What you are saying definitely makes sense. Is it there a generic servo drive that would be advisable to use with an older motor? I know Centroid has the ACDC drives that will work with Fanuc motors, would those work if I added the correct encoder to my older motors? Or maybe a different brand of servo drive? I want to see if there are any options for reusing my old motors with a modern type of servo drive. Thanks agian!
eng199

Post by eng199 »

krissondors wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:41 am Is it there a generic servo drive that would be advisable to use with an older motor? I know Centroid has the ACDC drives that will work with Fanuc motors, would those work if I added the correct encoder to my older motors?
Most manufacturers tend to steer clear of using someone else's motors. Control Techniques (Nidec) will allow it, or Centroid AC/DC. If you post the motor name plates and any additional motor information you have, we can review AC/DC compatibility. If the motor models have not been used with AC/DC before, they will need to be sent to Centroid for parameter setup.
aamir

Post by aamir »

It's look like your motor is 6pole motor and I don't think it will use with yaskawa drive .
U need to check by shorting UVW and count the no of step need to move one revolution of motor .No of step show the pole of motor.
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

eng199 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:51 am
krissondors wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:41 am Is it there a generic servo drive that would be advisable to use with an older motor? I know Centroid has the ACDC drives that will work with Fanuc motors, would those work if I added the correct encoder to my older motors?
Most manufacturers tend to steer clear of using someone else's motors. Control Techniques (Nidec) will allow it, or Centroid AC/DC. If you post the motor name plates and any additional motor information you have, we can review AC/DC compatibility. If the motor models have not been used with AC/DC before, they will need to be sent to Centroid for parameter setup.
I don't blame them, I can understand not wanting to have someone use an unknown motor in a drive designed to work with particular motors.
I have the nameplate pictures attached below. I know the motors are rebranded Kollmorgen motors but I can't get much more info on the specs of the motor. Depending on the costs involved, I would like to send in the motor to Centroid for them todo the parameter setup. While I most likely not end up using these servos, I know a few people who want to retrofit their old Cincinnati Arrow CNCs while using their old motors so if my motor can be used to help out others, that would be awesome.

aamir wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:05 am It's look like your motor is 6pole motor and I don't think it will use with yaskawa drive .
U need to check by shorting UVW and count the no of step need to move one revolution of motor .No of step show the pole of motor.
I'm a bit confused on the best you are talking about. When you short them out, would I just use some jumpers on the pins to short them and then spin the motor by hand to feel how many steps their are? Forgive my ignorance, I'm still learning 😄
Attachments
20230124_220310.jpg
20230124_220252.jpg
aamir

Post by aamir »

Yes you short the pins with a jumper and move it by hand .
I am sure about this motor it's a 6 Pole motor .
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

aamir wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:07 am Yes you short the pins with a jumper and move it by hand .
I am sure about this motor it's a 6 Pole motor .
You are correct, it is 6 poles.

The Yaskawa drive is out of the question now, I guess I want to know if there is any "aftermarket" drive can run the servo.

Also, how did you know it was a 6 pole motor just by looking at it? I'm curious how you knew.

Thanks!
aamir

Post by aamir »

Hahahah
I made 6 Cincinnati and retrofit 800+ machine mostly all brands .
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

aamir wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:45 am Hahahah
I made 6 Cincinnati and retrofit 800+ machine mostly all brands .
Ahh okay! Yes, this motor is off a Cincinnati Arrow 750 VMC. In your experience, do you normally change out the motors for a retrofit or do you try to reuse the old motors?