Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cincinnati Arrow 750 VMC Retrofit

Post by krissondors »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:58 pm Considering price, features, performance, and ease of setup, the Delta C2000 is probably the preferred choice.

The Hitachi SJ-P1 can do orientation, and has received positive recommendations on this forum.
The Yaskawa A1000 with a PG feedback card will do orientation.
The Mitsubishi A500 with its PG feedback card did orientation. I assume Mitsubishi has a successor available with the same capability.
Thank you for the clarification Marc! Sounds like I will be ordering the C2000!

If my motor has a max of 5.5kw, would a 5.5kw VFD be fine or should I overrate it and get like a 7.5kw or 10kw VFD?

Kris
repauli1
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by repauli1 »

Any progress?
krissondors
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by krissondors »

repauli1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:38 pmAny progress?
I guess my last post got deleted when the site when down.... woops!

Yes, so I am finally stripped all the old electronics from the machine except for the transformers, breakers, contractors, etc.
I removed the servo motors and had to come up with a way to mount the much larger servos to the machine. I came up with this simple adapter plate that should work for the X and Z axis since there is clearance for the larger motors, but I still need to come up with another adapter or mount for thr Y axis. The old Y axis servo sits in the back of the machine inside the main column and the bottom flange is almost touching the column. I don't see a way the larger motor will fit inside the column like that, so I either need to make a tube extension so the larger motor can bolt onto it outside of the colum or possibly make a timing belt pulley system on the ballscrew and motor so I can shift the motor up.
I also ordered some custom made servo shaft couplers since the ball screws are 3/4 inch diameter shaft and the new motors are 35mm. Those should come in about a week or too.
Also, I bought the I/O cables for the Yaskawa servo drives so I have to wire them up to the Oak. I got the conneters and pins from Digikey so now I just have to seit and wire up the cables. I will post some pictures of everything this weekend to show the progress.
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

Alright guys, I need some advice on what to do here. I need to figure out how to mount the Y axis servo. Since the new motors going in are a wider frame (but also much shorter), it will not bolt up to the existing servo mount even with an adapter since the bottom of the servo flange would hit the machine frame. I have 2 ideas on how to attach thr new motor.

First idea is to make a square tube that bolts on to the existing servo mount that extends it far enough that the new motor would be able to bolt up directly in line with the ballscrew. I would also have to make an extenstion shaft.

Second idea is to mount the new motor above the current servo mount, and have a toothed pulley on both the ballscrew and servo motor. This would require making a bracket that bolts to the existing servo mount but also have an adjusting feature to tension the timing belt. I would also need a relatively short belt and I'm not sure it they even make something that short and wide enough foe the demanded torque. What would you guys do, or is there another method you think would work?
Thanks!
Attachments
20230115_230906.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I would go with the tubular extension. Mechanically simpler, and it keeps the motor accessible.
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:39 pm I would go with the tubular extension. Mechanically simpler, and it keeps the motor accessible.
That's what I was leaning toward for the same reasons. The only negative thing is that the motor will stick out a decent amount and that space behind the machinr is already tight (the machine is as close to a wall as possible, don't have much room in my shop).
Thanks!
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

Another quick update:

I modeled in CAD what I was thinking of making for the Y axis servo motor mount. It's basically 2 adapter plates bolted to the ends of a 5" aluminum square tube, 1/4" thick. Then I would have 3/4" shaft going from the ball screw to the servo coupler.

My only concern with this design is there is going to be a lot of a lot of weight and leverage on the original servo mount. I'm worried it could crack the mount. I was thinking of shimming the bottom of the tube to the base of the column to make sure there is contact and no movement, but I'm not sure if it actually needs to be bolted down. I don't want to drill and tap holes into the column base if I don't have to, so if it needs to be bolted down, I will make some brackets that bolt the extension tube to other existing mounting holes on the column.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

https://a360.co/3XlVa1H
repauli1

Post by repauli1 »

Been real busy, just read your posts, did you get your Y axis installed?
krissondors

Post by krissondors »

repauli1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:35 pm Been real busy, just read your posts, did you get your Y axis installed?
I hear you, same here!

No, I ended up ordering the next size down Yaskawa motor for the X and Y axis, so that way it will be almost a direct bolt on rather than the funky extension with my larger motor. Just waiting for those to come in so I can install them.
repauli1

Post by repauli1 »

Keep us updated with the build please!