Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Encoder Error

Post by Greg82 »

My oak was replaced and running the same tests on the new oak showed all 4 axis ports working perfectly. I was told after that they didn't find a problem with the oak I shipped to them
thelinuxman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by thelinuxman »

Has there been any resolution to this other than a new board for Greg82?
I am setting up a new OAK controller with Yaskawa Sigma 1 drives and having the same issue. Whichever axis is plugged into #1 is fine, other axis will not go to commanded position & accumulate error on PID screen with every move.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Have you verified that the encoders are counting in the correct direction for the other axis? You may need to reverse the encode phasing on those axis.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
eng199

Post by eng199 »

thelinuxman wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:06 pm Has there been any resolution to this other than a new board for Greg82?
Yes, we have discovered the cause of the problem.
Oak with IC28 labeled LC4D v0x0031 have an issue.

Position request outputs 2-4 may have unexpected short times between A/B transition. This will cause missed counts to servo drives with a slower input rate, such as Yaskawa Sigma II (200kpps) and DMM DYN4 (500kpps). Drives with faster input rates like Yaskawa Sigma IV (1000kpps) and Automation Direct SureServo2 (4000kpps) did not lose position during testing.

Velocity mode (analog) output is not affected.

The solution is to update IC28 to LC4D v0x0032. Reprogramming requires an RMA number to return to Centroid.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Approximately what was the range of production dates for Oak units with v0x0031 firmware?
occustoms
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by occustoms »

Yup i have this problem too. And i have the that ic28 label. Looks like i gotta call and get rma. Hopefully its a quick turnaround
eng199

Post by eng199 »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:59 pm Approximately what was the range of production dates for Oak units with v0x0031 firmware?
sn 1378 9-16-22 to sn 1446 3-6-23, some quantity less than 67 units
Some of the boards in that range did not ship and are now updated.
occustoms wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:38 am Yup i have this problem too. And i have the that ic28 label. Looks like i gotta call and get rma. Hopefully its a quick turnaround
The turnaround should be quick since the solution is known. If you email a report to support@centroidcnc.com, we should have all the information to generate the RMA and verify that the code needs an update.
aamir

Post by aamir »

I also have the same problem but i switch the Drive from Normal Pulse train to Hi speed pulse input in one of the chinese Dorna Drive that resolve my issue .
m5white
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Oak A900946, Oak A901222

Post by m5white »

Centroid updated my firmware and that fixed the issue I was Having with Y, Z and A position errors. It was interesting that after I installed OAK the Y axis still had count errors but not enough to fault as a position error. I decided to redo some of the setup procedures by retuning the drives/motors then rerunning the PID Tune and that fixed that. The machine is now running well and the PID Error is now less than about 20-30 counts (this equates to around .0001 axis movement). I have tested all axis for repeatability with a .0001 indicator and they are showing no discernable error. When I move over about 100 IPM to 200 IPM I start to see a change of about .0001 to .00015 which I attribute to indicator bounce. If the indicator reading changes by .00015 at end of travel at 200IPM it still repeats to .0000 on my dial. Very impressive.

Thank you for solving and fixing this problem Centroid! This is why I now have retrofitted my lathe and mill (that had the position error problem) with OAK and just also finished the retrofit of my second mill with ACORN. Wow, was the ACORN retrofit easy.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

m5white wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:55 pm Centroid updated my firmware and that fixed the issue I was Having with Y, Z and A position errors. It was interesting that after I installed OAK the Y axis still had count errors but not enough to fault as a position error. I decided to redo some of the setup procedures by retuning the drives/motors then rerunning the PID Tune and that fixed that. The machine is now running well and the PID Error is now less than about 20-30 counts (this equates to around .0001 axis movement). I have tested all axis for repeatability with a .0001 indicator and they are showing no discernable error. When I move over about 100 IPM to 200 IPM I start to see a change of about .0001 to .00015 which I attribute to indicator bounce. If the indicator reading changes by .00015 at end of travel at 200IPM it still repeats to .0000 on my dial. Very impressive.

Thank you for solving and fixing this problem Centroid! This is why I now have retrofitted my lathe and mill (that had the position error problem) with OAK and just also finished the retrofit of my second mill with ACORN. Wow, was the ACORN retrofit easy.
thanks for taking the time to report back.
good deal on the Acorn Retrofit.
if you can, photos (online album) of customer machine projects are always fun to see :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html