Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

HELP... "ALT I" not working [resolved third party program interference]

Post by davecolston »

Ok... so I'm muddling my way along thru the Installation Manual for my ALLIN1DC... First time I've attempted setting this up. I've installed the CNC12MILL software and have the board plugged in... Trying to get thru the Bench Test procedure...

On page 25 of the installation manual, where it says to Disable PLC Faults... , it says to press "Alt I" to bring up the real-time I/O Display...

When I attempt that, my display goes blank and I get a message on my Dell touch screen monitor... no "DP cable". The I/O display never comes up.
If I press "Alt I" again, the display returns to normal. DP cable normally refers to a Display Adapter cable, which my computer does not have...

Is there another way to get to the I/O Display screen???

Dave C
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: HELP... "ALT I" not working

Post by tblough »

Is this a laptop? If not, you have a Dell display utility running (probably in the system tray). You'll need to turn off the hot keys there. There is no alternative way to start the io screen in CNC12.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
davecolston
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by davecolston »

Thanks Tom,
I don't know that I have a utility running for the Dell monitor. If I do, I was not aware of it. I haven't assigned any hot keys that I'm aware other tan what the CNC12 apparenlty assigns.... What do you mean "in the system tray"?
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You have something intercepting your keystrokes. Since ALT-I seems to change your monitor input, I assumed you had a monitor utility running in the background. Either that, or CNC12 does not have the focus when you are typing ALT-I, and the keystroke is being sent to another program. Make sure CNC12 has the focus when hitting ALT-I.

What computer are you running CNC12 on?

"System tray" is easily googled.
Cheers,

Tom
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

I don't know if this relates to systems other than Acorn, but if you have keyboard jogging enabled (green notification at mid-right DRO screen), Alt-I will not work. Turn off keyboard jogging and or disable it at start up in the wizard. This has caught me up twice now with Acorn, so that's the first thing I ask when a customer say's that Alt-I doesn't do anything.

If this doesn't pertain to Oak, Allin1DC, etc., disregard.
Scott
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i bet its your keyboard... laptop keyboards are notorious for hijacking common CRTL / ALT keys for other functions

use a standard keyboard.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
davecolston

Post by davecolston »

Sorry for not responding earlier; Busy with other stuff today... Here's a little more info...

1. It's not a laptop. Generic PC; intell i5 @ 3.0 Ghz; w/ 8GB ram, 500 GB SSD; Running Windows 10.
2. Also standard BestBuy el cheapo keyboard.

But here's where I think the problem Might be... someone pipe in if you're more familiar. I'm running a Dell P2418HT touch screen monitor. When I key in the "Alt I", the screen goes completely black for a few seconds, then displays "no DP cable", which may have something to do with it. I don't have a DP cable because I have no Display Port on my video card. The monitor has HDMI, DP, and VGA inputs. I'm currently running an HDMI cable to the monitor. Also, I have to run a USB cable to the monitor as well to get the touch screen to work... I had to call Dell support to find that out.

So,I'm going to try another video card tomorrow and hook up a DP cable to the monitor. We'll try that and see if there's a difference.

So Stay Tuned...

Dave C
davecolston

Post by davecolston »

Latest Update...

Close but no cigar yet...
I installed a new video card today, sort of a higher end card, the PNY 4 GB GEFORCE GTX 1650. On sale at BB for under $200. Plugged it in and started the pc up without loading the NVIDIA drivers, since my previous card was also a NVIDIA card. At this point, I had not downloaded the latest drivers for the new video card, so I'm not sure what mode it came up in...

When I loaded CNC12Mill, it came up fine, but the aspect ratio was sort of off, not sure what it was, but appeared to be wider than the previous HD. I pressed ALT I and up came the real time I/O display.... first time I've seen it.

So, I shut down and loaded the drivers for the new video card. The NVDIA control panel comes up in giving me several display modes with 1920 x 1080 default. I tried that and every combination available... still could NOT get the ALT-I to work correctly. Goes blank every time and I have to press ALT I again to get control back.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING... This is a fairly new computer with a new Dell P2418HT touch screen monitor. It seems to be related to display settings, since it did work when I first tried the new card, although the aspect ratio seemed off.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dave C
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

IT's not the screen resolution, it's the NVIDIA junk they install along with the drivers. Did you also install NVidia GeForce Experience along with the control panel? Remove EVERYTHING NVIDIA from Apps and Programs and then install ONLY the video drivers. Do not install any other NVIDIA programs.
Cheers,

Tom
davecolston

Post by davecolston »

FINALLY. WORKS!

Thanks Tom... I removed the NIVIDIA drivers and restarted, then set the display thru Windows to 1920 x 1080 and it WORKS!

Appreciate everyone's help... Now to the next challenge to get this thing set up!

Dave C