Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Legacy CNC7 Assistance Needed

Post by JDG »

As recommended, the link to my photo's: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nSEKbrQj61y5WHdn9

My Centroid Intercon seems to be stuck in a F10 Park mode. I have worked with this machine for several years. It seemed to be functioning perfectly when last used, and for the most part seems to function fine now. Powers on, all axis move, Intercon seems to function from screen to screen, but does not Esc to a main screen with the F10 Shut Down. Instead, I have F10 Park. Twice I have had to power down without a graceful shutdown by the control.
I don't want to continue and risks damage.

I purchased this machine from the local High School. I know it has been used very little and should be good for a home shop. I now have the time and would like to do a deep dive into its use. Is this a problem, or an oversight due to lack of knowledge, or what.

Please with any suggestions.

JDG
cncsnw

Re: Legacy CNC7 Assistance Needed

Post by cncsnw »

DOS-based controls do not require a computer shutdown procedure. Just turn off the power.

If it makes you feel better, you can press Ctrl-Alt-X to exit to the DOS prompt, then turn off the power.
JDG
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by JDG »

Thanks... Maybe so and I do appreciate the help, but the manual clearly recommends a clean shutdown. I'm still unclear why I am getting the F10 Park rather than the F10 shutdown, and why the Esc function key does not take me to the familiar main screen. Reading thru the manual again, it does appear that F10 Park is an accepted shutdown routine that is supposed to abbreviate or make the next start up quicker.

Call me cautious, but it just doesn't feel right. Pressing the F10 function key accomplishes nothing that I can tell, and the Esc function says invalid key stroke. It may be my lack of knowing, but I'd feel better knowing. At least with your feedback, I won't be as reluctant to fire things up and noodle around thru the programs a bit more.

If anyone has more to add, it will be much appreciated.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

but the manual clearly recommends a clean shutdown
Which manual?

A manual for CNC10 (running under Linux) or for CNC11 or CNC12 (running under Windows) will recommend an orderly computer shutdown. That is why the F10/Shutdown menu, with the Poweroff option in addition to Park, was added in those versions.

What version of CNC7 are you running? The version number will be displayed on the F7/Utility screen.
JDG

Post by JDG »

Running version 8.22. The manual I am using is:

Centroid
M-Series (my machine is M39)
Operators Manual
Version 8.21
rev 030826

Guess I assumed that manuals for later versions might not apply. Would I be better served using a later version manual. I am just starting out and could use some instructional tutorials. Using youtube as a source, I have avoided those that use a later CNC version. If they are applicable, I will start to dig into those as well.

A stupid question, but how do the Acorn and Oak versions differ from my CNC 7?

Again, your help is much appreciated.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The v8.22 manual (found here: http://www.cncsnw.com/822MillManual.pdf) is probably identical to the v8.21 manual.

As far as I can tell, on page 2-6, it just describes the F10/Park key which you have in your software for moving the axes back near the homed position, to save time on the next startup.

If you saw a description of an F10/Shutdown menu with an F2/PowerOff option on it, and advice to always use that option to perform a "clean shutdown", that would have been in documentation for more recent software.

Basic operations (setting part zero, measuring tool height offsets, writing programs with Intercon, getting a graphic preview, etc.) have not changed appreciably between CNC7 v8.22 and CNC12 v4.20. There have been thousands of minor changes, and minor and major additions. If you are prone to being thrown off balance merely by the difference in the F10 function on the main screen of CNC7 vs. CNC10, then you would be best served to stick with the manual that applies to your software version, and no other.

If you see features in CNC12 that are not present in CNC7, and that you feel would be important to have, then it is always possible to upgrade your control with an Allin1DC control unit and a Windows-based computer. See http://www.cncsnw.com/AIOUpgrades.htm for some examples.
JDG

Post by JDG »

Thanks once again for your help.... I will power up and get back to it.