Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Slavtec touch probe

Post by S-K Machine »

The touch probe showed up this week so I decided today was the day to hook it up.
I had pre-made the cable inside the cabinet and used a GX12 style jack on the outside.
The cable is jumpered on the plug side as to when you plug it in the probe detect circuit is active.
All is well. Spindle in inhibited and jog rates are slowed down. It calibrated fine to within .0003
I have 2 questions.
1st is I do not have the probe clear /probe triggered screen. Test probing routines worked fine.
Probe screen.png
I did look around for a setting for it to turn on the graphic , but maybe I missed it.
2nd is I use Z home as my reference. All tools get touched off and set to the table with a 1-2-3 block.
Does the probe Z also get set as a tool? I calibrated the diameter but was not sure on the height. I would think it does.

Thank you again Centroid masters for any and all advice.

Jeff
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Slavtec touch probe

Post by cnckeith »

you may be interested in the Probe App by swissi, more info here.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6149
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
S-K Machine
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by S-K Machine »

Thank you Keith.
I been in touch with him for his software.

But it still does not answer my 2 questions.
Should the probe be set up as a tool for height. I did set the diameter.
And why is the probe trip graphic that I took a screen shot from the install manual not showing up
Crafty
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 5126

Post by Crafty »

I have also just fitted a Slavtec probe to my 8*4 cnc router (yaskawa servo) using Acorn - router Pro and the exact same questions.

The probe tripped shows in the plc detective but the graphic does not change state to indicate probe tripped although the software recognises the trip?

I also have the same question regarding z height offset for tool the tool number assigned to the probe? Tool 12 in my case.

The probe cycles appear to work although on two occasions when testing auto cycle on a bore the feed did not stop when the probe was tripped in the Y axis forcing me to cancel the cycle. So at the moment I have concluded something is not configured correctly. It would be great to know why the graphic is not showing the tripped state when the documentation and video setup guides suggest it should.

Aditionally it would be interesting to know what differences are implemented by the wizard if mechanical or kp3 is selected? Currently I am using mechanical as the slavtec probe has mechanical contacts but signal switched by electronic circuit.

Thanks Luke, UK
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

Hey Luke.
I am using the Allin1 , not the acorn. So we do not get the luxury of having a wizard to configure things. It all must be done manually.
I do not even get the on screen graphic that shows the probe clear / probe tripped. What does change for me is the turtle on the VCP lights red.
The probing cycles seem to work fine ,and are accurate to a few tenths. I used a know ring that I had laying around ,but will buy a good standard.
I also have it set to mechanical ,and have the probe detect circuit wired. You can only jog with the X1 and it will have no spindle action when it is set.

Jeff
Crafty

Post by Crafty »

Hi Jeff, apologies, I thought you were using Acorn. It would be useful if we could get some clarification on if what we are experiencing via the graphical UI is correct for our respective setups - in my case a graphic that does not change in response to the probe tripped signal that is acknowledged by software. Would help debugging our setups. In my case Acorn - router pro

I have the detect wired also but it shows a probe tripped message when this detect circuit is true / connected so something odd going on. My next step is to study the plc input assignments and see how it handles logic for the probe tripped and detect..

The height offset query also, I presume it must need to know how it's z position relative to z=0?

Looking fwd to getting the probe properly setup as it looks good and will make life much easier! I need to get a ring gauge like you, I have also been using a measured machined bore for starters...

Other than this slightly confusing issue with the probe the control has been rock solid and performs perfectly and easy to use.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you want to use your touch probe for setting Z axis part zero, then it needs to have a height offset, compatible with all your other height offset measurements.

There are two common ways of doing that.

One is to use the touch probe as the Reference Tool, so the value of its height offset is zero. You use the probe to set Z Reference on whatever surface you are going to measure tools on; then touch all your other tools to that same surface and measure them.

The other is to set Z Reference any other way (e.g. set Z Reference at Z home, if you have a bed mill or other machine with a fixed-height table), then measure the probe's height offset on the same surface you use to measure other tool height offsets.

The probe's height offset is located by whatever index value you have in Parameter 12.

If you only ever use your touch probe for locating X and Y, then you do not need to bother with setting a height offset for it.
Crafty

Post by Crafty »

Thanks for the clarification regarding the Z height offset, that's much appreciated.
Crafty

Post by Crafty »

I found the reason my graphic was not showing a probe tripped state - user error! - I had attempted a non standard config for the probe detect circuit and the probe detect signal was being interrupted with probe trip. The control doesn't expect or like this. When configured as per the documentation it works as expected. Apologies for hijacking your thread Jeff and hope you get info on the graphic.

The probe and control are both working perfectly. I will fit a 5 pin xlr with shorting link for probe detect.
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

Marc... Thank you for a clear and concise explanation. I knew you would be the first to show us the light. :)

Luke, no worries on any form of high jacking. This is how we all learn from each other. Glad to see you have it sorted out.
But my first question still goes un-answered. Why is it that I do not have the actual graphic on the screen?
I have scoured the you tube videos this weekend and it seems as some people have it and some do not ,which is strange.
Then I thought, well maybe it is only with the acorn software, not the oak or allin1. Not the case either ,as I found some without.

1 clue that I did come across is that the people that have the VCP "turtle" light red on trip do not have the graphic like me.
The people that have the graphic , I do not see their turtle button turn red. So maybe this is PLC driven to show the graphic or not.

Luke.... you have the trip graphic correct? When you trip the probe do you see the small red light illuminate on the turtle button from the VCP?

Jeff