Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport Boss brake code

Post by Jhuff »

I have just about finished a Bridgeport boss rebuild with new DMM motors that bolt on and an oak board. I have all the axis moving but working on peripherals. I wanted to keep the speed control and brake solenoids that exist and hoped to run them through the output 9 brake setup as per schematics. It appears this is set up a little different than I need. The plan is that the brake solenoid will be activated when the spindle is inactive. When the spindle is turning the solenoids for the speed control and brake should be set to supply power to air powered spindle speed change solenoid thru the original switch on the mill and the brake will be inactivated during spindle movement to allow the spindle to turn. I found a previous thread that alluded to this setup but it was on another board and I wasn't sure how to do it. i have reset the VFD to coast to stop. I am aware that I will probably need to alter my plc program but have little experience. I down loaded note ++ and looked at the plc program but it is greek to me. Recommendations - thoughts?
John
cncsnw

Re: Bridgeport Boss brake code

Post by cncsnw »

You are going to need to modify your PLC program one way or the other.

Most people with this type of machine put the PLC directly in control of the speed-up, speed-down and spindle-brake solenoids. PLC logic can then activate the speed-up and speed-down solenoids in response to control panel buttons, but only if the spindle motor is running; and PLC logic can decide to apply the brake or not depending on whether the spindle is running, and whether the operator has chosen to disable the brake (e.g. so they can turn a dial indicator by hand while the motor is off).

For example, the PLC program for a Bridgeport V2XT I did six or eight years ago included this code:

Code: Select all

; Bridgeport V2XT features
IF !SpindleEnableOut THEN (SpindleStopped_M)
IF SpindleEnableOut THEN (SpindleRunning_M)

IF Aux3Key THEN (Aux3PD)
IF (Aux3PD ^ Aux3LED) || OnAtPowerUp_M THEN (Aux3LED)
IF !(Aux3LED && SpindleStopped_M) THEN (SpindleBrakeRelease)

IF SpinOverPlusKey && SpindleRunning_M THEN (SpeedUpSol), (SpinOverPlusLED)
IF SpinOverMinusKey && SpindleRunning_M THEN (SpeedDownSol), (SpinOverMinusLED)
In this case, the speed-up and speed-down buttons on the jog panel activate the corresponding solenoids directly, provided the spindle is running; and the Aux3 key and LED on the control panel determine whether the brake will be automatically applied whenever the spindle is stopped and released when running, or whether the brake will simply be released all the time.

Your PLC program is a more recent Centroid factory program, and as such has "_I" and "_O" appended to all of the input and output token names, so you would have to edit accordingly. SpindleStopped_M and SpindleRunning_M can be assigned to any available memory bits, or they could be omitted entirely: the subsequent logic could just as well test SpindleEnableOut (or "SpindleEnableOut_O") directly.
cncsnw

Re: Bridgeport Boss brake code

Post by cncsnw »

If, instead, you want to use the old speed-up and speed-down controls, and the old brake controls, instead of wiring the solenoids to individual PLC outputs, then you could probably get what you want by deleting the ZBrakeRelease logic and redefining OUT9 to be a copy of SpindleEnableOut. Then, if you wired +24VDC to the OUT9 common, you would get that +24VDC out OUT9NC when the spindle is stopped (which you could use for the brake); and you would get that +24VDC out OUT9NO when the spindle is running (which you could send to the speed up/down controls).

The PLC code would includes some things like this:

Code: Select all

; in the output definitions section:
SpindleEnableOutToo_O  IS OUT9
;...
; in JogPanelStage or MainStage:
IF SpindleEnableOut_O THEN (SpindleEnableOutToo_O)