CNC Control System Serial Number: 125050511
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Centroid 3 axis control on Accu II Knee Mill

Post by mitchs »

Hello everyone.
I am not able to completely boot up my machine. I'm getting a "401 PLC failure detected" message and "Warning Machine Home Not Set." When I turn on the main power switch on the control panel on the back of the machine, the control starts going thru all of the code on the screen like normal but I don't hear the sound from the main control box on the back of the machine like I normally do that sounds like a relay engaging. Can anyone help me please ? Thanks
Mitch
Attachments
20220723_085545.jpg
cncsnw

Re: Centroid 3 axis control on Accu II Knee Mill

Post by cncsnw »

Your PLC and servo drive unit, in the gray control cabinet on the back of the machine, is probably a DC3IO.

See http://www.cncsnw.com/Drives.htm#DC3IO

See also the attached hardware manual.

Check to see whether the green +5V, -12V and +12V LEDs, at the bottom of the DC3IO to the left of the analog plug, are lit up (see page 8 in the attached hardware manual for the location of those LEDs). Also check the XVCC LED on the left edge, just below the fiber optic sockets.

If those LEDs are not all lit, then you probably have a faulty logic power supply. The DC3IO logic power supply is a micro-ATX computer supply, installed on the back of the DC3IO mounting frame. It provides 5V and 12V power into the DC3IO board via a plug at the top left. If you need to try a different ATX or micro-ATX power supply, note that you need to cut and combine the green wire in the ATX power plug, with one of the adjacent black wires (as was done on your original unit). This is what makes it start up as soon as AC power is applied.

If the above-mentioned LEDs are all lit, but you still get "401 PLC failure detected", then you should check to see if the fiber optics are damaged or not properly plugged in, both at the DC3IO and at the CPU10 board inside the console.
Attachments
DC3MAN040914.pdf
(98.08 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
smithdap
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Centroid 3 axis control on Accu II Knee Mill

Post by smithdap »

I recently repaired a DC3IO with the same problem. Instead of a MicroATX Power supply I opted for a 12v 5v 2 amp convertor with a 4 pin Molex connector; and it seems to be working great as of now. It looks similar to a laptop power supply. I didn't want to chance anything by taking it apart just yet for a new ATX Supply. I used it as a test power supply to get the board leds to light up and then decided to just keep it. It is a sealed system and believe it may fair better than a power supply with the fan. The Power Supply Part is made Coolerguys. The part number that I used is 840556029977 . This part is a bit easier on the wallet as well at around $15. I also used a C14 to NEMA 5-15 power connector, generally used for monitors, to power up the new 12v 5v molex convertor. To keep the power pack in one place, you can use industrial Velcro to attach it inside the cabinet. This repair/ Retrofit only cost $25.