CNC Control System Serial Number: 0820102383
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re adding previously disabled 2nd z fourth axis

Post by MrThinkage »

Hello,
Our company recently purchased a third hand CNC mill with a 4x10 bed and two independent z axis'. Everything works well save for the W axis (4th axis?). I've run Gcode that uses everything else though.

It seems the last owner had temporarily disabled it at it didn't show up on the DRO initially. I changed parameters 130, and 131 to 490, and 60 respectively. However, when I use the jog panel or MPG it doesn't send any power to the drives. As well, the end stops don't show up in the log when I manually trigger them. I know how to tell the machine which pins to use but I dont know how to identify which pins its using. I also dont know how to configure the two spindles in the software. I am not sure if I need to set parameter 42 to treat it as Z axis? It seems like the machine doesnt know to send to the right drive output as I get no voltage on the motor pins at the controller.

If anyone could point me to any references that explain how to use a 4th axis not as a rotary axis. That would be great.

I attached some photos that hopefully provide some context for what I am working with.
Attachments
Controls Cabinet
Controls Cabinet
Two Z axis (Z on left, W on right) spindle on left replaced with sharpie while waiting on repairs
Two Z axis (Z on left, W on right) spindle on left replaced with sharpie while waiting on repairs
Machine
Machine
cncsnw

Re: Re adding previously disabled 2nd z fourth axis

Post by cncsnw »

If the 4th axis limit switches are wired to the 4-pin Phoenix plug H1 on the RTK2 unit, then they will not register as PLC inputs (therefore no "407 ... limit tripped" message on the screen); but they will still inhibit the servo drive in their respective directions.

Set Machine Parameter 94 = 0 to specify that the fourth axis is not a rotary axis.

Optionally, set Parameter 94 = 64 so that the fourth axis (W) gets some of the special treatment that the Z axis gets automatically (e.g. separation of rapid moves to keep tool clear, movement with M25 and M6).

When you "use the jog panel or MPG" and it "doesn't send any power to the drives", what messages appear in the status window?

If you post a Report here, then we can see what your machine configuration and parameter values are, and what error, stall, and fault messages might have appeared.
MrThinkage
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0820102383
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Re adding previously disabled 2nd z fourth axis

Post by MrThinkage »

If the 4th axis limit switches are wired to the 4-pin Phoenix plug H1 on the RTK2 unit, then they will not register as PLC inputs (therefore no "407 ... limit tripped" message on the screen); but they will still inhibit the servo drive in their respective directions.
Oh interesting. Yes, this appears to be the configuration of my system.
Optionally, set Parameter 94 = 64 so that the fourth axis (W) gets some of the special treatment that the Z axis gets automatically (e.g. separation of rapid moves to keep tool clear, movement with M25 and M6).
I have tried both but will set to 64.
When you "use the jog panel or MPG" and it "doesn't send any power to the drives", what messages appear in the status window?
It gives 411:W axis full power without motion. Along with the (current?) bar at the axis going straight to red. However I read no voltage at the W + and - pins on the servo controller.
If you post a Report here, then we can see what your machine configuration and parameter values are, and what error, stall, and fault messages might have appeared.
Attached.
Attachments
report.txt
(139.11 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
report.zip
(85.77 KiB) Downloaded 17 times