CNC Control System Serial Number: 1216100313
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

No power to servos - DC310B

Post by calebkullman »

Good morning,
I am in the middle of trying to get an older mill retrofitted with Centroid controls. I bought the mill from an individual who had started the retrofit but then abandoned the project and let the machine sit for 10 years unfinished. It is equipped with a DC310B and an MPU11 with a jog panel. When I first powered the machine up, the computer it came with was running Mach3 as the control software. I could get movement out of all 3 axes, but the servos were moving with a jittery action. I replaced the ethernet cable with a shielded ethernet cable and also decided to upgrade the computer, which was old and slow. Now the machine has a newer, faster computer, and I have installed CNC12 v4.20 as my control software. I am using the free version at the moment. The computer is communicating with the MPU11 - when I move the axes manually the DRO/encoders update position. However, I cannot get power to the servos anymore. When I try to jog with the jog panel, nothing happens. In the "plcmsg" text file in the report, I am getting a communication fault error message and am wondering what this is? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Caleb
Attachments
IMG_9762.jpg
report_0008DC111213-1216100313_2022-06-30_17-42-59.zip
(510.59 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No

Re: No power to servos - DC310B

Post by centroid467 »

Good morning,

Are you seeing the error code "9015 Axis 3 Communication Out Fault" in the message window in the upper right quadrant of the screen? It seems like the Drive Fault LED on the DC3IOB is not lit up. Please double check the drive fiber connections (fibers 4 and 5).

Is the PLC working? If you trip a limit switch, does it show in the PLC diagnostics screen (ALT + i on your keyboard)?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It appears from the message log that you have a spindle drive fault condition ("9030 SPINDLE FAULT!").

You will not be able to move any axes until you clear that.

To clear the spindle fault, you will either have to wire a closed circuit (e.g. a normally-closed fault relay on a VFD) between INP25 and input common ("logic ground", 0VDC on the upper PLC input plug H20); or you will need to invert INP25 using Ctrl-Alt-i on the PLC Diagnostic screen. Then you will need to press and release Emergency Stop to reset the fault condition.
calebkullman

Post by calebkullman »

Thank you both for the reply. I will work on those items.
As far as the drive fault LED goes, do I need to have the drive fault circuit wired through the e-stop to light the LED up?

I don't have anything connected to the spindle I/O at the moment - I'm waiting on a VFD to arrive. Will a jumper between INP25 and the logic ground be the same as a normally closed relay?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, you can just install a jumper from INP25 to input common (logic ground).

Drive fault detection on the DC3IOB is internal. I do not know why you are not seeing servo drive faults in the message log, given that the drive fault LED (really a "not fault" LED) is not lit. Perhaps the servo drive fault will only be reported once you fix the spindle drive fault and try to enable one or more axes for movement (i.e. by jogging). If there is a servo drive fault condition, it is more likely to be related to fibers #4 and #5 than to any of the copper wiring.
wpaddock

Post by wpaddock »

centroid467 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 am Good morning,

Are you seeing the error code "9015 Axis 3 Communication Out Fault" in the message window in the upper right quadrant of the screen? It seems like the Drive Fault LED on the DC3IOB is not lit up. Please double check the drive fiber connections (fibers 4 and 5).

Is the PLC working? If you trip a limit switch, does it show in the PLC diagnostics screen (ALT + i on your keyboard)?
Yes, we are seeing the "9015" error. Checked the fibers, (un plug and replug and change polarity). No Change, DF LED is still dark.

Limit switches are recognized by the controller, indicating "X+ axis tripped", "X+ axis cleared". For all connected axes, x, y, z.
calebkullman

Post by calebkullman »

As Will replied earlier, we have jumpered the spindle fault I/O and cleared the spindle fault error code. We are still getting the message "axis 3 communication out fault". What would be the next step in diagnosing what we are assuming is a problem with the fiber cables or related parts of the board?
Thanks,
Caleb
Attachments
report_0008DC111213-1216100313_2022-07-02_15-54-02.zip
(516.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You could swap your 1&3 fiber pair with your 4&5 fiber pair, at both ends. If you then get a PLC communication error, then you have a faulty fiber. If the problem remains "9015 Axis 3 Communication Out Fault" then there may be a problem with the DC3IOB unit. You could send the DC3IOB plus your MPU11 board to Centroid for evaluation, and repair if needed.
calebkullman

Post by calebkullman »

Thank you. We did swap the fiber cables and got the same axis 3 communication out fault. I guess we will talk to Centroid and see what needs to be done. We appreciate your time and help - it's quite a learning curve for me as I have very little experience with this sort of thing.
centroid467
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

We're happy to help!

If you do send your system in, we'll do our best to figure out the problem and get it back to you. It sounds like it might be a problem in the fiber optic TX/RX circuits which is usually not very difficult to diagnose and fix.