DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC10Mill v2.36 should I upgrade?

Post by Maurits Bosma »

Hi there,
Im new to the Centroid channel

I run a one man machine shop on Long Island NY.
I own a Prototrak Lathe and a Sharp LMV Bridgeport clone with a Prototrak MX2 control.
The computer module of the MX2 finally died after 30 years of service.
I ordered a new module at SWI.
Because I like the machine.
But in the mean time I’ve been looking for a 3 axis inc that would also be a bid heavier that the 9 x 42 mill
So in search of someone that could machine the job I was doing when the MX2 computer died, I bumped in to a Grizzly G0499 CNC mill
with 52 inches table,
Cat40 spindle, box ways and a Centroid M400 control.
The machine is a 2006/2007 and has ridiculous low running hours. (He said 500 hr)
I like the machine a lot and it comes with a bunch of tooling and probes.
All in like new condition. Especially considering the price 6000/7000.
I am totally new to the Centroid M400 control, and I would like some advice.
The control pendant has serial no 20601.
The software is CNC10Mill v2.36.
System ID 0404060213
The machine has not been used really for several years but seems to work fine. It jogs all axes but I have not been able to run any programs.
Should the software be updated and do I therefor need to upgrade any hardware.
What kind of hurdles can I expect getting this machine updated to the latest software version.
Or ....should I just run the existing software and update when necessary?
I have full excess to the machine and it’s only 10 minutes away so I can supply additional info about drivers, software, servos etc.

Any advice would be great
Thanks very much

Maurits Bosma
cncsnw

Re: CNC10Mill v2.36 should I upgrade?

Post by cncsnw »

First choice: run it as is. Only down side is it will be picky about which USB thumb drives you can use for file transfer, and reading USB drives can be slow.

Second choice: add memory to the console and get the software updated to v2.72, with no control hardware changes. Cost ca. $500.

Third choice: upgrade to Allin1DC unit and new console. Hardware cost ca. $6K, professional installation recommended.

The only common failure modes to watch out for are a tendency for the CPU heat sink bracket on the motherboard to break (check inside to ensure that the CPU heat sink and fan are securely clamped in place); a need to periodically replace the motherboard battery (every ten years or so); and, sometimes, failures of the micro-ATX computer power supplies in the console and on the DC3IO unit. All of those things are relatively easy to deal with.