CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Allin1DC Normally Closed Probe (Solved)

Post by xr4x4ti »

Hello Gang,

My Allin1DC converted Protrak DPM bed mill has been working great and I have been having a blast pushing my skills making some parts for my project.

I decided to start playing around with probing and I purchased a Drewtroincs S5000LED probe.

I wired it up to the probe connector on the Allin1DC and set parameter:
parameter 11 = -50769 (negative because of NC probe)
parameter 18 = 50771

I also set the following parameters:
12=10
13=.02
14=10
15=1
16=10
153=1 (seems to make no difference)
155=0 (default)

I wired the probe to input 769 and return and jumpered input 771 such that when ever the probe is plugged in in connects 771 to the return.

I then fired up the probing functions and everything seemed to work great!!

But, after unplugging the probe I realized I had a problem. The controller would not let me Jog more then 1x. This indicates that it thinks the probe has been activated. With a normally closed probe, this makes sense, since unplugging it opens the circuit. But, I would have assumed that since the probe detect input (771) was also open, the controller would know there was not a probe installed.

I also realized that it didn't matter if the probe was plugged in or not, it WOULD let me turn the spindle on.

It seems like the probe detect is not working.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Last edited by xr4x4ti on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xr4x4ti
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Allin1DC Normally Closed Probe

Post by xr4x4ti »

I attached a report file.

Thanks,
Tim
Attachments
report_0008DC111213-0901202461_2022-07-02_09-53-17.zip
(5.47 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

Another update,

I did verify that the input (771) is working and changes state when I plug in the probe.

Thanks,
Tim
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

Nobody has any thoughts?

Just to repeat, I got the actual probing working. It does all of the built in probing functions. My problem are:
-It allows me to start the spindle whether I have the probe plugged in or not.
-It only allows 1x JOG with the probe is unplugged.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I did verify that the input (771) is working and changes state when I plug in the probe.
What is the state of INP771 when the probe is plugged in?
What is the state of INP771 when the probe is unplugged?
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:51 pm
What is the state of INP771 when the probe is plugged in?
What is the state of INP771 when the probe is unplugged?
INP771 = Off (red) when not plugged in, on (Green) when plugged in.

For ref:
INP769 = Off (red) when not plugged in, on (Green) when plugged in, off (red) when the tip contacts a surface.

Thanks,
Tim
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In your report, the PLC program you are running (file mpu.plc) was compiled from a source file named "Centroid_Standard-Mill-ALLIN1DC-basic-w-lowrange-reverse-r1.src", apparently in August 2020.

The "Centroid_Standard-Mill-ALLIN1DC-basic-w-lowrange-reverse-r1.src" file on your control and in your report is a different one; it is a renamed copy of my Allin1DC basic mill program, normally named "allin1dc-basic-mbl-cwp4.src". Of course, since that file has not been compiled to mpu.plc, it does not actually affect control operation at all.

The old "Centroid_Standard-Mill-ALLIN1DC-basic-w-lowrange-reverse-r1.src" file that you are running has a couple bugs affecting probe detection and spindle/probe faults. Someone commented out and replaced the block that would have prevented the spindle from starting when the probe is detected; and the order of the "ProbeFault_M" logic is such that SV_STOP does not remain set when it is triggered.

The spindle issue would be resolved if you were to compile my PLC program from the source file you have (preferably after renaming it back to "allin1dc-basic-mbl-cwp4.src" to reduce confusion). Some of the other issues might be fixed if you were to update from v4.18 to v4.20. However, you might ultimately need to invert your probe input (search the forum for "invert INP769"), and perhaps make other supporting changes to the PLC logic.
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

CNCNW,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't touched the PLC program since I got the machine running almost two years ago.

Obviously I must not have done something correct back then. I will need to research the PLC setup and figure out how to properly use your base file.

Will I loose all of my setting if I simple switch over to your file. Sorry for the obvious noob questions.

Thanks,
Tim
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If, by "setting", you mean all of the values you entered into the Configuration and Parameters menus, then no. Compiling a different PLC program does not change any of the values in your configuration or parameters menus.

Different PLC programs may, of course, require different parameter settings for specialized functions.

For example, the original "Centroid_Standard-Mill-ALLIN1DC-basic-w-lowrange-reverse-r1.src" always run the spindle motor in the opposite direction when the low-range switch (which it expects on INP12) is closed, regardless of the value of Machine Parameter 65. In contrast, "allin1dc-basic-mbl-cwp4.src" will run the spindle motor opposite the commanded spindle direction if the low-range switch (which it expects on INP13) is closed, and you have entered a negative number for the gear ratio in Parameter 65.

If you do not have a low-range switch wired to the PLC, then that won't make any difference. If you do have a low-range switch wired to the PLC, then you will need to move it from INP12 to INP13, and (assuming you have a Bridgeport-style back gear) you will have to make Parameter 65 negative.

For the most part, "allin1dc-basic-mbl-cwp4.src" will function the same as the program you have been using. Where there are differences, it is usually because I have fixed bugs that were present in the (very old) factory program that yours was based on.

Other differences are more matters of preference and style. For example, I treat the red button on the WMPG as a Reset key (which triggers a Fault condition) rather than just a Cycle Cancel key; I do not automatically switch the jog mode from continuous to incremental when you press x1, x10 or x100; and I make the WMPG Jog+ and Jog- keys always function in continuous mode, regardless of the incremental/continuous selection.
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

Thanks once again, I will give it a try this weekend.

Tim