Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1216100313
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

re-installing Mach 3/Ajax or Centroid CNC software

Post by calebkullman »

I recently purchased a 1980's era CNC mill - a Yuasa Accu Mill, from a fellow who had begun converting it from the Fanuc controls over to an Ajax/Mach 3 system using the DC310B and MPU11. He never finished the conversion and the mill sat for about 10 yrs. I am now trying to get the machine up and running. I have been through most of the bench test for the DC 310B but would like to upgrade the PC. The machine is currently running on a an old Dell PC and I have a newer machine that is faster and has a wireless card, which the other doesn't. When I switch to the new computer, should I load the Centroid CNC 11 software, CNC 12 or Mach 3? The previous owner had CNC 11 on the machine as well as Mach 3 with the Ajax plugin, but I don't have any of the CD's that came with the machine or any documentation. I have included some photos of the Centroid gear but no report since I haven't even gotten that far.
Thanks,
Caleb
Attachments
IMG_9640.jpg
IMG_9639.jpg
IMG_9638.jpg
IMG_9637.jpg
IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9634.jpg
cncsnw

Re: re-installing Mach 3/Ajax or Centroid CNC software

Post by cncsnw »

I recommend installing CNC12 v4.14.

First, though, find out what version it is currently running. The current version is displayed on the F1/Setup screen, and also on the F7/Utility screen.

If it is currently running a version older than CNC11 v3.06, then you need to install and run CNC11 v3.06 on it, before you move on to anything newer. Otherwise you will "brick" the MPU11 board, and have to send it in to Centroid for reprogramming.

You should be able to make a Report using your existing software version, then restore that report into a new CNC12 installation.

Support, here and elsewhere, will be much better for CNC12 than it will be for Mach 3. It will also be better for CNC12 than for CNC11.

The current CNC12 version is 4.20, but to update to v4.20 you will need to purchase a "Legacy Pro" upgrade license from Centroid. That is $299, last I checked.
calebkullman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1216100313
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: re-installing Mach 3/Ajax or Centroid CNC software

Post by calebkullman »

Thanks CNCSNW,
That is helpful information - I appreciate the response. Once I get the new PC running, I'm sure I will have no shortage of questions regarding the machine and controller.