CNC Control System Serial Number: 6951
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

M400 Centroid control problems

Post by VictoryMachine »

Hello All,
Trying to follow the “Read first before posting” requirements.

(1 ) - Attach a current REPORT.ZIP file.

When I power up the machine all I get is a white screen. Therefore I’m unable to provide a Report.zip file

(2) - Include a list of the components used in the CNC system with Manuals and Schematics for non Centroid components.

This machine was an original M400 Centroid equipped machine, so I don’t believe this step applies to me?

(3) - What kind of Machine? POST PHOTOS.

Machine is a Birmingham B3VS 3 axis CNC bed mill with Centroid M400 CNC control.
Centroid serial #6951

Link to photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdXQk2WXAWNxYhsx9

(4) - Include Screen Shots.
Again, Since I’m only getting a white screen, I can’t provide any screen shots.

(5) - Include the CNCPC specs, cpu, ram, hd, OS, Touch Screen used and description of any other method of operator control being used.

I believe the centroid guys can tell this from my serial #, but matching up pictures on cncsnw.com I have Aaeon PCM-8152 motherboard. A CPU7P3 board and a M15DRV1 Servo Drive/PLC (REV042401) running CNC 7 software.

So, after having the machine off and unplugged from power (if that happens to matter) for about 2.5 yrs, I tried to power up the machine. The fans in the controller cabinet and the main cabinet start blowing and there is a beep from the control cabinet behind the LCD screen. The screen lights up white as shown in the pictures, but never loads up the CNC7 software and associated blue home screen. It never displays anything actually, other than the white screen.
I wondered if maybe the monitor was bad and tried hitting “Cycle start” to home the machine, but nothing happens…
None of the lights for coolant on/off, single block, Auto Spindle Man, etc light up when depressed.
I can hear a beep if I depress any of the keyboard buttons.
I can see a green LED lit up on the Aaeon PCM-8152 motherboard.
The M15DRV1 board has a green LED in the top left, but it never lights up.
Checked 5v and 12v LOGIC POWER to the M15DRV1, both good. (5v & 11.7v respectively)
I found the battery on the PCM - 8152 board and it was dead, replaced it and tried to startup machine, but still no change.
Tried pressing and holding Delete button while powering up. Still nothing.
Tried control- alt - delete, got some beeps from inside controller cabinet, but nothing changed, still doesn’t load software or make any change in the appearance of the LCD display.

I'm at a loss to what else to try. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give some guidance as to what to try or test next!
cncsnw

Re: M400 Centroid control problems

Post by cncsnw »

This is probably a long shot, but locate connector CN19 on the top edge of the PCM-8152 motherboard; turn the power on; and momentarily short pins 1 and 2 of CN19 together.

Pin 1 is the right-most in the top row, as installed in your console. Pin 2 is probably the one below in, but might be the one to its left. See pages 16 and 33 of the attached PDF.

Momentarily shorting those pins simulates pressing the power-on button on a PC case.
Attachments
AaeonPCM8152ManualRevAEd1.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by centroid467 »

If all else fails, call in to Centroid for tech support and possibly get an RMA number issued.
VictoryMachine

Post by VictoryMachine »

Thank you both for the replies!

cncnw - I see the pins you are referring to. Is there any harm in shorting pin 1 to the wrong Pin 2?
In other words is it safe to try both if one doesn't work? Thanks again for your time and your webpage. Your webpage is a wealth of useful information!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Is there any harm in shorting pin 1 to the wrong Pin 2?
I don't think so.

Pin 1 is the minus side of the start-button input.
Pin 3 (the one to the left, if pin 2 is the one below) would be the minus side of the HDD LED output, which would not do any harm.
Pin 6 (the one below, if pin 2 is the one to the left) would be the plus side of the speaker output, which probably would not do any harm in a short duration.
VictoryMachine

Post by VictoryMachine »

Well I tried shorting the CN19 pins together and still no luck. Thanks again cncnw.

I realize the electronics in this machine is now 20 or so yrs old. I know many of the components can begin to have failures at that age.
I guess I will be saving up my $$ to retrofit to an Allin1DC. I hope it's ok to ask a few questions here.

I have pictures of my encoders in my album linked above, they appear to be Danaher M21. Will they be compatible with the Allin1DC?

Any chance my current control panel could be wired up instead of buying the 11077 optional operators control panel? Minus the LCD screen, I would use a new VGA monitor.

I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thanks again!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The original encoders and motors will work just fine.

The original jog panel cannot be used with Allin1DC.
VictoryMachine

Post by VictoryMachine »

cncsnw wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:54 pm The original encoders and motors will work just fine.
Great news! Thanks again for all the quick replies!