Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

V2XT Pneumatic Speed Control with Allin1DC

Post by ndamo »

I converted a Bridgeport V2XT to Allin1DC controls myself a few years ago, using a VFD to control the speed. It works great, but given it only has 2HP, at low RPMs, it really lacks power, especially around 2000 RPM. It's really unusable on steel between 400 and 2000. I was browsing when I noticed this machine has an M400S controlling the original pneumatic speed control:
http://www.cncsnw.com/BridgeportV2XT.htm
Is it possible to ditch the VFD and just control the speed as it was originally with my Allin1DC?
I'd like to find out how, I did the conversion myself, but it was several years ago so I'm a bit rusty on how everything is set up...
Thanks,
Noah
cncsnw

Re: V2XT Pneumatic Speed Control with Allin1DC

Post by cncsnw »

That particular machine had only manual speed control: the operator presses the spindle speed plus and minus buttons to increase and decrease speed via the pneumatic vari-speed; and the control displays estimated RPM in the status window, based on the potentiometer feedback.

I have done a couple systems since then which provide a semblance of automatic programmable spindle speed using the pneumatic vari-speed and the feedback pot. Those take a little more effort to set up, but once dialed in they will usually get within 50 RPM or so.
ndamo
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by ndamo »

I would be interested to learn how to set it up or pay someone to help with it. Getting within 50 RPM sounds great to me. Let's face it, it's never going to do any rigid tapping.
bgpv2xt
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0113202340

Post by bgpv2xt »

I have a V2XT and ditched the Vari Speed completely and replaced it with cogged belt and pulleys, all bolt on components from a catalog. It now uses a VFD and ALLINONE. Somebody mentioned you gain 1/3 horsepower because of all the friction of the Vari Speed belt.