Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Spindle wiring and spindle enabling

Post by frankljs »

Hello im doing upgrade from M15 to m39 on an atrump knee mill. All the wiring has been pretty straight forward. However, I have hit a snag when trying to figure out how to operate the spindle. The spindle is not operated by a VFD. Manual speed control. Spindle control is two 24 V AC contactors. It has a 5V DC relay coil ahead of it that appears to control which direction to divert power to coils(pic below), that is wired from the all in one DC and power supply in the cabinet. I’ll post some pictures. I spoke with an electrician and he confirm my wiring looks correct on the low voltage side. I tested and I am getting +5 V DC to the relay via wire 7 on inside the magnetics cabinet, which then feeds 33 and 53. My question is, whenever I enable the spindle via the virtual control panel it does not divert the 24v ac power from wire 50 to forward or reverse coils via wires 51 and 52 shown at bottom of relay. Maybe i dont have it wired correctly or maybe the relay is bad or maybe i don’t understand how the 5v dc relay works. Any help is appreciated. I have it wired exactly how the schematic shows. I have attached the schematic from centroid. Many Thanks in advance!
Attachments
S14713.r3.pdf
(319.11 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
86414DB9-211B-4C5D-9A19-FE17C1A7F849.png
C19B5558-C15B-43BF-969D-5BAA664EDFF9.png
87F8511A-A173-4780-AD4A-5FCBF08A2E37.jpeg
frankljs
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Spindle wiring and spindle enabling

Post by frankljs »

Full setup and tuning isnt complete yet, but all servos and limit switches are functioning appropriately. I will post a pic of spindle wiring as well for reference asap.
frankljs

Post by frankljs »

Here is a crude drawing of how ive wired it minus the terminal lock in the magnetic cabinet.
Attachments
6543A53C-92BA-46D1-A448-3CF86AE271C3.jpeg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The 5V circuit looks fine.

However, there is no reason to use that circuit at all. The M15SPRLY board was only there because the M15 PLC board did not have relay outputs suitable for switching the 24VDC to the contactor coils. The Allin1DC relays can switch the coils, so you don't need the external board, unless you are trying to exactly duplicate the two-cabinet installation using the old I/O cable that is shown on the Centroid schematic.

Use the Alt-i display to see whether OUT7 turns on (green) when you try to start the spindle.

Note that the PLC will not start the spindle if any of the limit switches are tripped, or if there is any other fault condition.
frankljs

Post by frankljs »

Ok. Thanks for that. I was actually considering removing the relay from the circuit to test things, but that confirmes it.
frankljs

Post by frankljs »

Oh, the board can handle the 24v ac coming from the estop contractor ok? Just confirming.
frankljs

Post by frankljs »

So removed the 5v circuit, wired the 24vac common to output 7, which is jumped to 8, enabled spindle, out 7 turns green on alt-i display, but spindle forward contacter will not pull in still.
I removed the wires from the outputs to check continuity when spindle is enabled on output 7; no continuity. I can hear a clicking when i enable/disable on the board, but nothing seems to happen. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
cncsnw wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:46 am The 5V circuit looks fine.

However, there is no reason to use that circuit at all. The M15SPRLY board was only there because the M15 PLC board did not have relay outputs suitable for switching the 24VDC to the contactor coils. The Allin1DC relays can switch the coils, so you don't need the external board, unless you are trying to exactly duplicate the two-cabinet installation using the old I/O cable that is shown on the Centroid schematic.

Use the Alt-i display to see whether OUT7 turns on (green) when you try to start the spindle.

Note that the PLC will not start the spindle if any of the limit switches are tripped, or if there is any other fault condition.
frankljs

Post by frankljs »

Nevermind, it was a loose wire connection. Sorry and Thanks.