CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC 10 2.32 networking with win 10

Post by Davesvo »

Hopefully someone can help.
I Had this setup working at one point on win 7 but after switching to win 10 I can't get the network connection to work again. I have been through the tech bulletin 168, and have done what I believe to be the correct setup on the control but I just get "invalid path". I have setup the cnc10.net file to be what I think is correct, it matches the shared file. I mapped the shared file to a drive letter to see if that would help, because the folder is on the c: drive of the pc, and if I setup the machine to point to a c: drive it just opens the internal drive and not the network drive. I just need to open cam files from the pc on the centroid control.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Machine is a lathe
T400
CNC 10 v2.32
Davesvo
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: CNC 10 2.32 networking with win 10

Post by Davesvo »

Update:
I have verified the network connection is working by pinging from both ends. I believe it is either a setup error with sharing or something with the setup on the control.
My guess is there is something to do with how windows 10 shares files but I don't know. I have attached a report just in case.
Attachments
report.zip
(90.62 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Probably a Windows setup issue. File sharing seems to change with every new version of Windows.

Can you set up another Windows computer to access that shared folder, using the same credentials? That would be a way to find out of the share is at least being made available.

At a Linux command prompt, what do you see in response to:

Code: Select all

ls  -l  /cncroot/
and

ls  -l  /cncroot/d/
and

ls  -l  /mnt/net/
?
Davesvo

Post by Davesvo »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:03 pm Probably a Windows setup issue. File sharing seems to change with every new version of Windows.

Can you set up another Windows computer to access that shared folder, using the same credentials? That would be a way to find out of the share is at least being made available.

The shared file is available to multiple other computers on the network windows 10 and windows 7

At a Linux command prompt, what do you see in response to:

ls  -l  /cncroot/
a
c
cdrom
d
files
links
links~
links.cache
links.cache~

and

ls  -l  /cncroot/d/
No such file or directory

and

ls  -l  /mnt/net/
?
Nothing, it just moves down to a new prompt.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I don't have any ready solutions for you.

If I were trying to troubleshoot it, I would make a hard mount point to play with (maybe /cncroot/z), then try running smbmount from the command line. That will give you quicker turnaround, and maybe better error message display, than going through CNC10 and the cnc10.net file.
Davesvo

Post by Davesvo »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:34 pm I don't have any ready solutions for you.

If I were trying to troubleshoot it, I would make a hard mount point to play with (maybe /cncroot/z), then try running smbmount from the command line. That will give you quicker turnaround, and maybe better error message display, than going through CNC10 and the cnc10.net file.
I don't know linux very well at all, this is the only thing with linux i have ever had, and fortunately I have never had to mess with it in the 16 years i have had it. How do i create a hard mount point?
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by eng199 »

I would try to connect Windows to Windows like cncsnw suggests. It would be good to see if that works. Windows networking can be a pain. I recently found this helpful article:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a7ce680383

Turning on SMB (method 3 in link) can solve connection issues on older computers. I am out of practice on Linux, so I don't know if this is the issue, but it's worth a look.

The shares on Windows 10 need permissions set in the "Sharing" tab and the "Security" tab. I recently fixed some shares by changing permissions under security, even though advanced sharing permissions were already correct.
Davesvo

Post by Davesvo »

eng199 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:57 pm I would try to connect Windows to Windows like cncsnw suggests. It would be good to see if that works. Windows networking can be a pain. I recently found this helpful article:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a7ce680383

Turning on SMB (method 3 in link) can solve connection issues on older computers. I am out of practice on Linux, so I don't know if this is the issue, but it's worth a look.

The shares on Windows 10 need permissions set in the "Sharing" tab and the "Security" tab. I recently fixed some shares by changing permissions under security, even though advanced sharing permissions were already correct.
windows to windows share works across all my machines on the network (desktops, laptops, windows 10 and windows 7 machines). I did also turn on SMB previously and just checked that it is on. I'm half way decent at getting windows sharing to work without problems.
I almost feel like there is something stopping linux from accessing the share or any file on the windows machine. If I put some wrong information in the cnc10.net setup file it pretty much instantly says invalid path, but if everything is correct it hangs for 15-20 seconds before it pops up invalid path. This would indicate to me that it has the right information its either unable to read the share or windows is denying the connection. I have been through all the security and share settings and can't find anything that should be stopping it.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

This might be a distraction, but I would add some memory (bring it at least to 512MB, preferably 1GB) and update the control software to v2.72.

CNC10 versions 2.60 and later used a newer version of Linux, with somewhat more robust network support. I do not know with any certainty that updating would fix your problem, but it might at least give you more tools to work with. For example, you can turn the sharing around and have CNC10 share one or more of its folders with other network computers, as an alternative to trying to access a share on the Windows computer.

You will need a new compact flash card with v2.72 on it: you cannot install 2.72 over 2.32 as an update. If your compact flash reader is an FB4617, but is older than v2.2, you will need an updated compact flash reader as well.