Upgrading PC (currently running CNC7) on an older Ajax kit?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

JLeather
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Upgrading PC (currently running CNC7) on an older Ajax kit?

Post by JLeather »

I recently purchased a Bridgeport Series I machine from a friend of mine. He did a full Ajax conversion back in 2003, with servos (was a BOSS machine with steppers). I'm interested in upgrading the PC, for a few reasons. For one thing, all my CAD/CAM are on machines that don't have floppy drives so I'd like to be able to have the Bridgeport run from a PC with USB ports so I can transfer files with thumbdrives. The current PC is a 386 machine, and the PC card is very large and I don't think it can be used in any motherboards modern enough to have USB slots. Also, I already own a copy of Mach3 that I run a lathe conversion with and would like to try running the mill on Mach3 (although I don't want to give up the option of running Centroid). So, I have a few questions about what is/isn't an option.

Is there a PC card available that will interface with my existing circa-2003 Ajax machine-side components that can be installed into an XP or Windows7 tower?

Can I obtain a copy of CNC7 that I can run on a Windows machine, and would it cost me anything (since I already own a license of CNC7)? I do not have the original install disks for CNC7 that came with the kit.

What is the approximate cost of CNC10, and is there a discount for "upgrading" vs a first time purchase?

What, in addition to the new card, would I need to buy to be able to run the Mach3 license I already have?
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Upgrading PC (currently running CNC7) on an older Ajax k

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The latest version of software is currently CNC11 3.12 , if you were planning on upgrading this is generally the suggested option. CNC11 runs on Windows 7 or 8. We have a Mach3 plugin available that will work with CNC11 hardware. The plugin is available at no additional cost with the CNC11 hardware. If you have a previous license of Centroid software we can transfer it along with any other unlocks you may have purchased.

Can you send us a report of your system to tech@ajaxcnc.com? From the main screen press F7-Utilties, then F7-Report and choose where you wish to save the file. I can get you more specifics to your questions once I know exactly what hardware and software you are running.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
JLeather

Post by JLeather »

Thank you for such a quick response. Is there another way I can get this information for you? One of the primary reasons I want to upgrade the 386 PC is because none of my computers have floppy drives, so if I saved this system report file I wouldn't have any way to upload or print it. Perhaps there is a screen I can bring up that shows this info, which I could then take a picture of and email to you? Or maybe I can find the information manually on separate screens and write it down? Or is it printed on the various hardware components?
Centroid_Liviu

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

I can look up most of what I need with the System ID or System Control Number. The System ID number should be on the bottom right hand of the home screen in the Centroid software. The System Serial Number can be found on data-tags on the back of pendants or on the side of consoles.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
JLeather

Post by JLeather »

Great, I'll fire it up when I get home this evening. There are no control pendants or consoles. Just the PC; uses a keyboard for jogging.
JLeather

Post by JLeather »

Ok, so it turns out that this 386 is actually running Windows 95. It automatically starts up in DOS and runs Centroid CNC7, but you can exit out of that and find Windows 95. I can do more with that than I thought.

Still curious about the upgrade options. The System ID number is 0725030784. Also, the board in the machine is a "SERVO3IO" Rev. 010605.
Centroid_Liviu

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The recommended upgrade path would be our ALLIN1DC. If you return the CPU7 board we can transfer the software licensee and the unlocks. We can also transfer all the settings and parameters from your old setup to a new one for $150 if you send in your hard-drive as well. This would save you the hassle of having to set up your machine again. The cost of the ALLIN1DC would be $1859 if you send in your old board. You would basically just take your existing wires and take them to the ALLIN1DC. Most likely you won't need any re-work of your PLC program, but I can't say for sure without a report. Let me know if you have any other questions.

JLeather

Post by JLeather »

And that would include a copy of CNC11 with the same modules unlocked and a Mach3 plugin? I would just have to supply a new tower running Windows7 and it connects directly to the ALLIN1DC board via ethernet? No PC cards required?

As a side note, can you tell me what unlocks have already been purchased for my copy of CNC7 and what unlocks are still available?
Centroid_Liviu

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

You would have get a copy of CNC11 with all the unlocks you have for your current system along with the Mach3 Plugin. You currently have unlocks for Cutter Compensation, Drilling Cycles, Multi-Range Spindle, and Intercon. All unlocks are transferred, though the ones you have are now included for free with every version of CNC11. Along with those we also include 6 work coordinate systems, subprograms and macros, spindle S function, and 4x larger file size, at no cost with CNC11. A full list of all additional options can be found here http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajax-cnc-accessories/ . There is no longer any card to install in your computer, simply connect to the ALLIN1DC with a shielded Ethernet cable. You can provide your own Windows 7 or 8 PC or we have several options as well.

JLeather

Post by JLeather »

Thanks for the info. Just to verify (since your post was a bit confusing, possibly a copy-paste issue) the ALLIN1DC board upgrade includes a copy of CNC11? also, is it possible to get DXF Import for the CNC7 I'm currently running or would I have to upgrade to CNC11 to get that? If it's availabe for CNC7 is it the same cost as the current version?

Again, thanks so much for the timely responses and great support.