CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Update controls on Hendricks 2008 CNC

Post by DAYTRIP »

Morning all,

My son and I recently purchased a 2008 Hendricks CNC. It is a 4' x-axis, 12' y-axis and 7.9" z-axis. It has a 7.5kw spindle with Yaskawa V7 inverter. The only way we were comfortable purchasing it was with the plan to upgrade all controls from end to end. So we are installing The OAK controller, intel NUC, Yaskawa 750W drives and servos and cables. Need to figure out where to host some pictures and will start updating.

So far we have traced all existing wire, remove what we don't need, removed rotary tool changer, removed existing servos, removed all controls, and have started the rebuilding process. We have mounted our drives and the oak. We are using the S14765 schematic as our template for the new controls.

Two question I am trying to figure out, amounts' many, is my power. Our shop has 3 phase delta service. the machine came with a transformer that transforms from delta to Y. I wanted to pose the question to the experts of whether y configuration is the preferred or required configuration for the controls.

The second question is related to the Transformer (T1) shown on the schematic. Is there a particular manufacture or type that I should be purchasing.

Appreciate the insight and look forward to sharing our journey with the forum.

Jim
DAYTRIP
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Re: Update controls on Hendricks 2008 CNC

Post by DAYTRIP »

cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

All of the Centroid components run on single phase. The only three-phase loads are your spindle drive and servo amplifiers. As far as I know, Yaskawa does not specify that the power needs to be delta or wye

Regarding T1: you want a source of 120VAC to run your logic and input power supplies, and your computer and monitor. If you are going to use contactors with 24VAC coils (as recommended on S14765) then you need a source of 24VAC. Any transformer or combination of transformers that gives you 4A or so of 120VAC, and 4A or so of 24VAC, will work. Using a single transformer that provides both is a convenience, and saves space.

Centroid uses a Square D transformer, pn 9070T500D15.
You could also use a Hammond PH500MLI from Automation Direct.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Perfect that makes sense. I am guessing they used transformer to clean up the power. Appreciate the feedback.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Ordered the Hammond xfrmr.

As I begin to wire things up I am try to determine wire size and fuse size for my drives. I am following s14765 and have created circuit that starts at CB3 and goes to CNT1. My plan differs slightly from the schematic in that I was going to use one CNT1. From there I would branch to each drive wired in parallel. The yaskawa manual says each servopack should be fused at 6A.

First question is 1 CNT1 (centiod part 14374) ok vs 3 individual as shown on schematic? I noticed Marty wired his Fadal that way. By the way those YouTube videos are what sent me to centroid and helped me decide to redo vs buy new.

Second question is what size fuse should I use to protect that circuit? If yaskawa suggest 6A do I dare go that small with three drive in the circuit.

Thanks for the guidance
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Jim, you can post pictures here, click on the Full Editor & Preview button
Then click on the attachments tab.

Otherwise consider starting a Google Photo Album for the build instead of just posting a link to each picture.
Having all the pictures in one album and sharing the album link here would allow us to look at ALL the pictures in one place for reference.

If you are using 750 Drives/Motors, i see no reason why you can't use one appropriately sized Estop contactor
Be sure to tell us the model number of the drives you are using.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Hi Marty, thank you. I will get the drive model but they are 750 yaskawa drives and servos.

I did host the pics on google and use the img link but for what ever reason they Did not show up. Will try again. I use this forum engine on other sites so I am familiar but obviously doing something wrong. Appreciate your help and your YouTube content. Immensely helpful for me!

Thanks, Jim
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Test

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DAYTRIP wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am Hi Marty, thank you. I will get the drive model but they are 750 yaskawa drives and servos.

I did host the pics on google and use the img link but for what ever reason they Did not show up. Will try again. I use this forum engine on other sites so I am familiar but obviously doing something wrong. Appreciate your help and your YouTube content. Immensely helpful for me!

Thanks, Jim
Just click on the attachments tab under the message box when you reply
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks Marty!
This is the new layout the yaskawa on all three axis are 750 watt Servo motor SGMJV-08ADA61 and Drive SGDV-5R5A01A package.
Attachments
0EFEA723-31F2-4072-A69B-68E99F884552.jpeg