Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hardinge TFB conversion to CNC

Post by jshank »

Hi,
I am trying to gather information to start a Hardinge TFB project. I have received good information on ball screws and the installation. I am planning on using a Centroid allin1dc as I have experience with this board on my Bridgeport Boss machine.
The question is what size dc servo motor should be used on the z-axis and what size on the x-axis.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Hardinge TFB conversion to CNC

Post by polaraligned »

Can you measure the motors that are on the X and Y now and see if they are a standard NEMA mounting pattern? Maybe you can get a motor to fit in their place. Also, check to see if the current motors have gear heads built in or there is some other gearing in the motor drive train. I don't think they drive the existing leadscrews directly. Any existing gearing will have too much backlash, but you can probably get a good idea of what you can do to drive the leadscrews. Your gearing is going to matter. Personally, I would go with a 2:1 belt drive reduction and 12 to 15 in-lb servo. Those are good machines for a conversion because they don't come with threading, but many that I see are well worn as they were used in production often.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No

Re: Hardinge TFB conversion to CNC

Post by tblough »

I'd go with a Centroid 10in/lb servo on X and a 16in/lb servo on Z.

Centroid DC Servo Motors with encoder and cable installed (middle of page)

Remember, this is a light-duty high-precision toolroom lathe. You not going to be hogging material with this machine so huge servos are not needed.

Space on X is also a consideration if you are going to fit everything on the carriage down into the existing chip tray. Not as big an issue if you intend to build up.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.