Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: 1997 Bridgeport Romi CNC flat bed lathe Easy Path S

Post by martyscncgarage »

Mark, you have to make a decision on what you want to do with your spindle drive and servo drives. You are also the only one that knows your skill level.

Time and money....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900999
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:26 pm Mark, you have to make a decision on what you want to do with your spindle drive and servo drives. You are also the only one that knows your skill level.

Time and money....
Yep, understood. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that you forgot about my skill level on the Wells Index conversation. LOL

I'm comfortable following you guys' direction. I gained tremendous confidence getting the Wells Index running. I am taking this one step at a time. The fuse you listed is the exact one I ordered. I ordered two just for "just fers". My concern is you guys running out of patience. You did a great job with my Wells and I appreciate everything you did. If something is over my head, I have no problem saying so and asking for clarification.

The meter that I am using does not allow for zeroing. I was hoping posting a pic of it connected would suffice.

We'll cross bridges slowly and carefully as they come up. First thing is to get the new fuse in, power in and load out disconnected and we see where we are. A new drive like mine is about $3K. Polar listed one that's very reasonable, under $700, if it comes to that.

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
SYSTEM ID - 0008DC111213-0301212560
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

Chevy427z wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:59 pm
The meter that I am using does not allow for zeroing. I was hoping posting a pic of it connected would suffice.
All meters show lead resistance unless zeroed. The lead resistance is about 0.1 ohms generally.

What does your meter read when you connect the leads directly together?

Chevy427z wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:59 pm A new drive like mine is about $3K.
Maybe I am missing what is special about this VFD, but 7.5hp VFD's run about $500 to $600 new unless this is a vector VFD which is electronically closing the loop to the VFD. I would imagine that a modern sensorless vector drive would perform well and they still are reasonably priced. It should be easy to trace out if the VFD is getting feedback from the motor.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/products ... _5_hp/?p=2

Look at these.
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:19 am You provided a picture of the spindle drive label:
Spindle Drive label.jpg

As for the drive, good you found a blown fuse. Disconnect the motor wires from the drive.
Disconnect the cabinet feed wires from the drive.
Connect 240VAC to L1 and L3 power up the drive and note what the display says.

The spindle motor label should be on the motor body itself. I though I saw something on the bottom of the motor.
Marty
My new fuses arrived today. Checked them both and they are good. Installed one and put it back together as described by Marty above. The drive does absolutely nothing. I can hear a high pitched whine, but nothing on the display. Tried punching a few buttons, no change. When I remove the power, I can hear the high pitched whine diminish. Fuse is still good.

I looked in the manual. Page 6 says that something should show on the screen, as wired originally, doesn't say anything about with just 240 single phase coming in and no motor connected.

Side note: Still don't see any other labels on the motor aside from the one for the fan.

Polar was asking about what my meter read with the leads touching. It reads zero.

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Are you sure the display/operator panel is fully seated and good connection made?
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:20 pm Are you sure the display/operator panel is fully seated and good connection made?
Double checked and triple checked. Nothing showing on the drive's display. As mentioned, I hear a high pitched whine and that whine winds down slowly when I disconnect the incoming power.

I had mentioned sending my drive to TIE (Tennessee Industrial) for evaluation a few times earlier and forgot that no one here knows who they are as I talked about them in another discussion group when I was working on my LeBlond/Makino 4 axis mill. They did a fantastic and fast job repairing my 3 axis servo drive. It wasn't cheap, but what is? Depending on the cost of repair (if they can) I will either have them do it, or go for something like what Polar recommended earlier. And we'll go from there.

Does anyone reading here do that kind of work and looking for some? I'm in no rush.

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
martyscncgarage

Don't discount a new replacement drive, before repairing one.
You might also consider replacing the spindle motor with a 5hp motor so you can buy a 5hp Single Phase VFD.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm Don't discount a new replacement drive, before repairing one.
You might also consider replacing the spindle motor with a 5hp motor so you can buy a 5hp Single Phase VFD.

Marty
I'm open to all options. Still trying to find someone who can look at mine and give me a price to repair it (if it's repairable). Waiting to hear back on a couple of leads. I'm in no rush.

I know roughly what a replacement VFD will be, for the existing motor. I can't imagine replacing a perfectly good motor with a lower HP one. Are the savings that great on a lower HP motor and VFD?

Polar did such an incredible job with my encoders on the Wells Index, I wonder if he fixes VFDs. :D :D :D

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
martyscncgarage

Chevy427z wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm Don't discount a new replacement drive, before repairing one.

Marty
I'm open to all options. Still trying to find someone who can look at mine and give me a price to repair it (if it's repairable). Waiting to hear back on a couple of leads. I'm in no rush.

I know roughly what a replacement VFD will be, for the existing motor. I can't imagine replacing a perfectly good motor with a lower HP one. Are the savings that great on a lower HP motor and VFD?

Polar did such an incredible job with my encoders on the Wells Index, I wonder if he fixes VFDs. :D :D :D

Mark
Its all about what you plan on doing with the lathe. if you NEED 7.5hp then by all means. Then you will likely be stuck with a good rotary phase converter to power the machine. I was only making the suggestion to get you into the area of more easily using single phase power for the machine.
You can also find a larger VFD as was previously suggested and run it on single phase as long as it doesn't bark at you if it sees a phase missing.
My Delta VFD-VE runs fine on single phase. I won't ever likely push that spindle motor to its full potential. That said, may be you can find a 10hp Delta VFD-VE VFD used to give a go. Just make sure its the right voltage.

End of the day its your build. We can continue to banter back and forth until the cows come home. Some point you'll have to pull the trigger and decide which route to go.

I find it quite odd you got NO display when you tested that VFD when previously you had something. I would probably disassemble it again and make sure you put it back together correctly and didn't miss something.

Marty

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

I've never tried it before, but couldn't you run a 7.5Hp motor with a 5Hp drive. VFD's have a maximum current limit so it would seem that you just wouldn't be able to develop full motor Hp. That way you could get a single phase 5Hp drive and not incur the expense of another motor.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.