Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900999
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 1997 Bridgeport Romi CNC flat bed lathe Easy Path S

Post by Chevy427z »

RTech wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm I put an Oak in a similar machine a few years ago. Mine also has the Yaskawa drives and I used an OAK board and pre-made drive cables from Centroid for simplicity.

I can't help you with the contactor (I believe I rewired the spindle per the OAK drawings), but the spindle drive works fine with the OAK.

Also, I just wanted to say the CNC-DX32 control and parts are worth a lot to some people. I got enough for the parts on ebay to more than pay for the OAK board!
I appreciate your input and info on the existing control. I gained tremendous confidence in my ability to do this when I converted an old Sharnoa controller to Centorid with the enormous help from this board.

I really tried to find a good home for the old Sharnoa controller as I had two pick up truck loads of spare parts, boards, etc and at one point I was the guy searching for these spare parts. Sadly, they wound up at a recycling center. I was happy to get the garage space back.

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
SYSTEM ID - 0008DC111213-0301212560
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Chevy427z wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:09 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:10 pm Phase converter is sized ok. I think the 261vac is a little high but I don't know how much the Bridgeport equipment will tolerate. I think your VFD is unhappy.
I agree that the VFD is unhappy. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Is there an easy fix to bring down the voltage coming out of the RPC (preferably by the leg to make it "perfect")? I asked American Rotary and their solution was a $1600 transformer. That's when I stopped perusing that one.

I'll probably wind up shipping the spindle drive to TIE (if they'll look at it) they did such a great job with my LeBlond Makino 4 axis mill.

Mark
Mark, we are at the mercy of our utility companies.
What is the line to line and line to ground voltage at the service point (ahead of your rotary)
The only way IS to step down the voltage with a transformer.

I think if it were me, I would validate whether or not the Yaskawa drives and motors are functioning properly

I would also simply try and connect single phase 220VAC power (not coming through the rotary converter) to the VFD directly and power it up, see if you get any errors (disconnecting the current 3 phase line wires first of course) See what your display says. I say this because the drive *may* run on single phase.

I am unsure if the Yaskway Sigma I drives will run on single phase. Marc (cncsnw) might be able to answer this question. Marc is there a way he can use Yaskawa's software utility to test the motors for motion if he were to connected the drives to single phase directly?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I do not know whether Sigma I (SGDB) drives will run on single-phase power.

It should be possible to test jog the servos using either a keypad operator or the SigmaWin software.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:45 pm I do not know whether Sigma I (SGDB) drives will run on single-phase power.

It should be possible to test jog the servos using either a keypad operator or the SigmaWin software.
Thank you Marc!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900999

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:48 pm
What is the line to line and line to ground voltage at the service point (ahead of your rotary)

Marty
246 line to line and 123.6 each leg to ground.

You say that the only way to drop the voltage is with a transformer. Even a drop as small as 10 or 20 volts? Is there even such a thing as a transformer that will drop the voltage from 261 to 230 (or 240 which the machine requires)?

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
SYSTEM ID - 0008DC111213-0301212560
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

They are called Buck-Boost transformers and are made just for small adjustments in line voltage. Oftentimes with a rotary phase converter, there is nothing you can do about the wild leg being high.

https://lcmagnetics.com/transformers/th ... nsformers/
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage

As Tom pointed out. The transformer has a primary side and a secondary side with multiple taps.

As I suggested earlier, put 240 single phase to the VFD and watch the display.

Similarly, you could do the same with the Yaskawa drives to see how they respond. It's not uncommon to drop a phase. So they shouldn't be damaged by missing a phase. I have a 7.5hp Delta VFD-VE on my machining center. It runs happily on single phase. I'll never push it that hard either. My whole VMC runs on single phase.

What you are looking for is error messages on the display of the drive. If it doesn't like a missing a phase you'll get an error on the display stating as such. If it's fine, it may show it's ready to go.

Your VFD shows an error now pointing to some internal problem, and you have a suspect servo drive. What could it hurt? Just remove the control cabinet wires from the line side of the drives first, then connect 240vac perhaps to L1 and L3.

Just my opinion. What you decide to do is up to you.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

Mark,

You can run that VFD on single phase for a short period of time and it will be fine. You can purchase a larger VFD and run it on single phase and have the whole machine single phase (provided drives are single phase). The old rule of thumb is to double the horsepower rating of the VFD when running it on single phase, but this is not a good idea. Go by the current rating as that is most important, and with a lathe oversizing is important because they have a very high static and inertial load.

You need to make sure that the control electronics are NOT being fed by the generated leg of your rotary, unless they are rectifying the 3 phase, in which case it won't matter. I had a problem with my lathe because the generated leg was going to the control...problem was that the wires inside the control cabinet were mislabeled by the factory and it tripped me up until I traced out their mistake. Unless you have a very expensive Phase Perfect or similar converter, the generated leg is only good for running a motor.

It would be nice if you had the service manuals so you could trace out how the power is distributed.
martyscncgarage

Polaraligned, he does have an American Rotary converter designed and sized for CNC application.
He is trying to validate how much of the old control he can use. He has Yaskawa servo drives, one is suspect and he has a VFD that is giving an internal fault error if memory serves.

At some point I'd tear it all out and start fresh....

As always your perspective is welcomed.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

If the converter is for CNC applications then no need to worry about the generated leg.

If it were my machine I would tear it all out and make it single phase. A VFD capable of running that spindle is less money than the rotary converter. Beyond the spindle, you are still dealing with 25 year old electronics.

I see now that you have the service manuals, so it should be easy to see if the drives are using 3 phase.