Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Solved - Set Z0 through Aux Key does not consider tool length

Post by ashesman »

I have four aux keys set up for the functions highlighted below. They work perfectly, well I thought they did. I have been using them, but today noticed that setting Z 0 does not consider tool length offset. I had previously had the tool length set to zero as it was the only one I was using but now with tool lengths set, setting the Z0 position results in the position being out by the current tool length.
Capture.JPG
Setting Z0 through the part setup screen considers tool length and works fine.

Any ideas?
Last edited by ashesman on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: Set Z0 through Aux Key does not consider tool length

Post by swissi »

ashesman wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:12 pm I have four aux keys set up for the functions highlighted below. They work perfectly, well I thought they did. I have been using them, but today noticed that setting Z 0 does not consider tool length offset. I had previously had the tool length set to zero as it was the only one I was using but now with tool lengths set, setting the Z0 position results in the position being out by the current tool length.

Capture.JPG

Setting Z0 through the part setup screen considers tool length and works fine.

Any ideas?
Height Offsets are not automatically applied with a tool change, you have to enable them explicitly with a G43 Hxxx command.

The CNC12 main screen will tell you if a height offset is active or not. If it looks like this, it's not active:

P33.PNG
P33.PNG (6.47 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

After you issue a G43 H1 command, it will look like this and the Z DRO WCS coordinates will be adjusted with the height offset of H1:

P34.PNG
P34.PNG (6.44 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

Thanks. I did have a height offset applied when I tried to set zero height with the aux keys. In the part setup screen it automatically shows the currently selected tool. But with aux key it seems to ignore height offset.
swissi

Post by swissi »

ashesman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm Thanks. I did have a height offset applied when I tried to set zero height with the aux keys. In the part setup screen it automatically shows the currently selected tool. But with aux key it seems to ignore height offset.
If you had a height offset applied, then there's an issue from which reference point the the tool offset is applied.

If you post a fresh Report file, I can have a look at your settings.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

ashesman

Post by ashesman »

swissi wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:13 pm
ashesman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm Thanks. I did have a height offset applied when I tried to set zero height with the aux keys. In the part setup screen it automatically shows the currently selected tool. But with aux key it seems to ignore height offset.
If you had a height offset applied, then there's an issue from which reference point the the tool offset is applied.

If you post a fresh Report file, I can have a look at your settings.

-swissi
I have uploaded a video of what I am talking about. A report is attached. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. It just seems to me like the Z0 Aux functions do not consider the currently selected tool offset length. It sets the DRO Z to the tool length offset. If you do G49, then Z = zero. So it is just setting the work offset to the current machine position, not the machine position offset by the tool length.

As I previously mentioned, setting Z0 using the part setup screen works perfectly. After setting, with a tool length offset applied, the DRO reads zero for Z.

But, I am probably overlooking something obvious like usual!
Attachments
report_0008DC111213-1214201066_2021-12-26_08-09-57.zip
(3.71 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
swissi

Post by swissi »

ashesman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:41 pm I have uploaded a video of what I am talking about. A report is attached. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. It just seems to me like the Z0 Aux functions do not consider the currently selected tool offset length. It sets the DRO Z to the tool length offset. If you do G49, then Z = zero. So it is just setting the work offset to the current machine position, not the machine position offset by the tool length.

As I previously mentioned, setting Z0 using the part setup screen works perfectly. After setting, with a tool length offset applied, the DRO reads zero for Z.

But, I am probably overlooking something obvious like usual!
I have no insight what these canned cycles are actually doing but why are you not using your own macro you have control over and can customize as needed?

So for example if you want to place the WCS Z0 function in macro file M55 (mfunc55.mac) and launch it with Aux3, place the value 5511 into CNC12 Parameter 190. Create the macro file mfunc55.mac in the C:\cncm folder with the following commands:

Code: Select all

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Filename: mfunc55.mac
; Description: Set Z Zero for currently active Tool
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF #50010  ;Prevent lookahead from parsing past here
IF #4201 || #4202 THEN GOTO 1000   ;Skip macro if graphing or searching

G92 Z0  ;Set WCS Z0 
G4 P.1  ; Pause for 0.1 second

N1000  ;End of Macro
This should do what you need.

-swissi

ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Thanks for the idea. The macros are aux key functions that are built in. I dont know anything about them either as Centroid provide their typically limited documentation and dont allow you to contact support to ask!

I run macros just as you suggested for some of my other buttons like manual tool change. The only thing I dont like about them is that you have to push cycle start to run them.
swissi

Post by swissi »

ashesman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:14 pm Thanks for the idea. The macros are aux key functions that are built in. I dont know anything about them either as Centroid provide their typically limited documentation and dont allow you to contact support to ask!

I run macros just as you suggested for some of my other buttons like manual tool change. The only thing I dont like about them is that you have to push cycle start to run them.
That behavior can be changed in the CNC12 configuration settings:

CNC12.png

If you set this to "No", there will be no Cycle Start button required.

-swissi

ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Oh, haha, I thought that setting meant that a jog panel must be fitted or an error would occur!

It would be nice if you could disable cycle start on those aux key macros as I have others that it annoys me having to push cycle start.

I cant find it documented in the manual anywhere, what else does that setting affect?
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Actually, I found this in the Oak install manual. It suggests that the Jog Panel Required setting does as I thought and prevents an error if there is no communications with the jog panel.
Capture.JPG