AIODC - revert to single-step at toolchange?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

AMDlloydsp
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0605130770
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AIODC - revert to single-step at toolchange?

Post by AMDlloydsp »

I'm training a new fellow who has zero CNC experience. So, I'm teaching him (for right now) to single-step after a tool change until he can see and confirm (riding the feed knob all the way) that the tool offset is good, and no fixtures are in the way.

Of course, this can be done by invoking a tool check, then pressing single-step, then continuing. That seems - well - sort of "indirect' for a guy not yet familiar with the equipment.

Is there a setting that will allow single-step to be enabled directly at any point, or at least at the point of a tool change?

Thanks,
Lloyd
cncsnw

Re: AIODC - revert to single-step at toolchange?

Post by cncsnw »

For the purpose you describe, I would just ensure that Parameter 146 is set something like 3 or 4 (assuming a current PLC program) so that turning the feedrate override knob down all the way will activate Feed Hold. That is a lot nicer than making him press the Cycle Start button over and over and over and over, until he starts pressing it before even looking or thinking.

That said, you could try modifying your PLC program to allow Single Block mode to be turned on while waiting at a tool change. I don't have time or opportunity to test any of the following, so it is up to you to try it out and see whether it works.

You need to add an M function request flag, so an M6 in the CNC program can inform the PLC that it is waiting for a manual tool change.

Choose an unused M function request. In this example I will use #6. Any resemblance between request #6 and the M6 code is purely coincidental. The "M6" request flag could just as well be SV_M94_M95_13.

Create an M6 macro file, named "mfunc6.mac", that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

; M6 - Tool change
IF [#50001] ; wait until program execution catches up to this point
M94/6       ; tell the PLC that a tool change is in progress
M6          ; do the normal manual tool change
IF [#50001] ; wait until program execution catches up to this point
M95/6       ; tell the PLC that the tool change is done
Modify the PLC program source to include the following definition:

M6        IS SV_M94_M95_6 ; manual tool change in progress
Also in the PLC program, somewhere late in the MainStage section, add M6 to the list of M functions which are reset when the program cycle ends:

IF !SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING
  THEN RST M3,
       RST M4,
       RST M8,
       RST M7,
       RST M10,
       RST M6
Finally, farther up in the PLC program, locate the section which turns single block mode on and off. Normally it looks something like this:

IF SingleBlockKey || KbTogSingleBlock_M THEN (SingleBlockPD)
IF SingleBlockPD && !SingleBlockLED && !SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING
  THEN SET SingleBlockLED
IF SingleBlockPD && SingleBlockLED THEN RST SingleBlockLED
IF SingleBlockLED THEN (SelectSingleBlock)
Modify it to look like this instead:

IF SingleBlockKey || KbTogSingleBlock_M THEN (SingleBlockPD)
IF SingleBlockPD && !SingleBlockLED && (!SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING || M6)
  THEN SET SingleBlockLED
IF SingleBlockPD && SingleBlockLED THEN RST SingleBlockLED
IF SingleBlockLED THEN (SelectSingleBlock)
This will make the PLC program allow you to turn single block mode on during a program, provided the M6 request flag is set. CNC11 may or may not respect that change. You will just have to try it and find out.
AMDlloydsp
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0605130770
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: AIODC - revert to single-step at toolchange?

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Thank you. I had not even considered using the feed rate knob to invoke a total feed hold. I'll have to check it... it may already be that way. I think that IS much nicer (for both him AND the snap-dome keys) than making him push a bunch of buttons.

In the meantime, the other examples you gave will go into my hopper as "good stuff" to be studied in times of less work. (soon! February.)

Thanks for the help.

Actually, in the few days he's been working on the machine (with a mentor) he's catching on quickly. Young fellow, no CNC experience, but smart enough to get it all pretty quickly. The 'tricks' start when we turn him loose! <G>

Lloyd