CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Anilam to Oak Conversion Project

Post by agiff »

Hi Everyone, First post.
I've been lurking in the forum for a while. I bought out a machine shop that was closing up due to the owner retiring, sold off a bunch of stuff and kept the few things I wanted and put them in my garage. I have a Supermax mill with Anilam 3000 CNC and a YAM (Cadillac) lathe that was originally built as a CNC lathe back in the day, mid 80's. It had an Anilam CNC on it called the Lathemate. I trashed that controller (came with a spare actually) immediately because it was too big and too old and clunky, with the idea of converting it to a more modern controller. It's a 14X28 with D1-5 spindle nose, and has several chucks but no steady rest. It has a 5hp motor and a coolant pump.

https://imgur.com/Wi0DZtz
https://imgur.com/vDqSzIV

I don't want to re-use the original motors. Yes they work, but I don't care. Sinking money into a more expensive controller and tearing into them to install new encoders and rebuilding them to save 35 year old motors just seems wrong to me rather than putting in new technology and running brand new servos. I plan to use Delta A2 drives and motors, and plan to direct drive with couplings and eliminate the belt drive, which are 1:1 anyway. I've started specifying the components, and think it will be similar to a Hardinge rebuild that was posted. Bill of materials at the moment: (doesn't format in a post that well so here goes.
PN Description
15000 Oak CNC Controller
13133 Delta Interface Cable
15003 CNC12 Lathe Pro License
M710q "Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q, refurbished:
with: i7-6700T 2.8ghz,16gb ram,
256 GB drive, intel HD graphics 530
6 USB 3.0 ports, windows 10 pro,
4 core, DDR4 RAM, PCIE X 8 hard drive connectors
2 Displayport connectors"
TD2455 Viewsonic 24" 1080P IPS, dual hinge touchscreen (refurbished)

Either 2X of:
Delta 750W ASDA-L
Delta 1000W ASDA-L

Still working on the motors, for the 750W drive would be this:
ECMA-G11306S
This motor is 2000rpm max with 5.73Nm continuous and 17.19 intermittent rated torque.

There are a couple 1kW motors that spin faster, they would get faster rapid speeds, but no other benefit that I can find. I checked load forces using Kennametal's website and torque requirements on the motors, the 600W motor should be more than capable of providing the cutting force needed to stall the main motor at any reasonable cutting speed I plan to use

The original motors are SEM 3N-m (26 in-lb) continuous 14N-m (124 in-lb) intermittent rated torque, 2400 max rpm, 142V DC motors. They drive the .200" pitch ballscrews at 1:1 ratio.

I'm expecting total conversion cost to run about or just under $5K for everything, and I plan to do all the wiring and panel building myself. I looked into buying an Intel NUC, I'm not waiting 6 months for one (that was quoted yesterday!). So I looked into refurbished computers, and can get a better spec'd computer for cheaper in a few days. As a CNC computer, used refurbished is fine.

There is a 600W motor that is a close equivalent for the Anilam motors, which are SEMs. They don't have the same top speed though. 2000 rpm instead of 2400rpm. That would limit the max velocity to 400 in/min. So a 24" move would take about 3.6 seconds, and max retract would take about 1.8 seconds. Not counting acceleration time in that which at max acceleration is negligible at 0.02 seconds or so, depending on how big the coupling is and which motor I spec.

Features I want:
Dual encoder handwheels.
E-stop footbrake, E-stop on front panel, safety switch on cover
Look-down camera on toolpost
New motors on X and Z
Variable speed on main motor through VFD
Detect which gear or if it is neutral
Coolant pump on/off (it is 3 phase)
touchscreen control
Manual knobs for feed and speed control
Feed hold button

Anyway, I plan to post my thoughts and progress on the build here, and am also looking for advice and guidance. I'll post my background and experience in another post shortly.

Anyway I tried to post pics linked to IMGUR, not sure why they aren't showing.
agiff
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Anilam to Oak Conversion Project

Post by agiff »

I've been adding to my BOM, I underestimated my budget a bit, probably will come out to just under $7K all said and done. The controller, computer, X and Y drives without motors, and touchscreen and VFD come out to about $3800 not including shipping and taxes. Then need the X and Y motors, cables, handwheels, control buttons, wiring, fuses and relays, control box, and everything else.

Anyway, if you care to know, my background is I'm a mechanical engineer, and am now an independent contractor in the medical device field for a few years now. I've been interested in machining and building things since forever, something I picked up from my dad. I've built a couple control panels and worked on industrial equipment in my way back past, I started off working as a maintenance engineer in a toner plant. Everything was PLC controlled. I helped build a robotic workcell, then an assembly line. Then moved into machine design for assembly robotics. Then got into medical device design, then project management and management. Now consulting, mostly in project management, business development, quality management, and regulatory.

Anyway I will order the computer and monitor this weekend, and the Oak and some other Centroid components first thing next week. Then take a few more measurements and then order the servo motors and drives and start specifying and ordering the other components like fuses, main switch and so on so I can lay out the panel. I will do so both in CAD and on a prototype sheet metal plate I have. I've found over and over building panels that wires just don't route where your imagination decides, and I have a nice big sheet steel piece that will work. I'm pretty sure the components will fit in a 30 X 24 X 12 box, and I'd like the wiring to be reasonably clean.

For the spindle encoder, right now I'm looking into an RLS magnetic ring encoder. Mounting would be much easier than using a belt drive system, since it doesn't need a tensioner.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Anilam to Oak Conversion Project

Post by martyscncgarage »

Do you feel you have the basic electrical/electronic background to carry out such a conversion? Have you done a conversion before?
Use good wiring practices.
I would use matched motors/drives that have been proven to work with Oak. You will need the signal cables as well. Nicer to buy drives that Centroid already has cables for.

1.) Yaskawa. Works with Yaskawa Sigma 1,2,5,7 Servo drives
2.) Delta ASD-A or ASD-AB
3.) Estun ProNet

All doable, budget's go over. Just be realistic.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ