Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102978, 8121, REV233
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Jumping Z axis when homing!

Post by toolmaker101 »

Control #102978
I had this control installed the end of 2017. It is had issues with this since. It was installed professionally.

Whenever I go to home the the machine at startup I have to turn the feed down very low to keep it from jumping and causing the machine to fault out. I used to be able to set the feed at 30% and the Machine would home out just fine now it's getting worse and I have to set the feed down at the minimum!

I love my Centroid machines but this last control install has not set well with me. I have chose work abounds instead of fixes.

Sorry for the ramble I just wish it could get fixed right.
I a 4 second video but cant post mp4 here?

Thank you for your time,
Travis
Attachments
report_1013171367_2021-11-12_09-55-31.zip
(4.78 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Jumping Z axis when homing!

Post by polaraligned »

Can you repeatedly run axis into switch when not homing with no issues? I had similar problems and it was the servo tuning. The control does an instant reverse when the home switches are triggered and tuning can cause some oscillation.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Upload your video to YouTube and post a link here.

Try cleaning and lubricating your limit switch, and cleaning its contacts with electronic contact cleaner. It is possible that the switch is getting slower to re-close after it has been tripped and cleared. As long as the switch circuit is open, the servo drive will inhibit current in that direction. That can cause erratic movement and stalls.
toolmaker101

Post by toolmaker101 »

I do not have you tube sorry I did post it on FB
I can reputedly run the Z up to end of stroke it will not hit the switch it has limit switches.
I will get cone contact cleaner and give that a try.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3531833 ... &ref=notif
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

See third post down

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6118&p=53582&hilit ... ion#p53582

I had to tune it to get it to work. CNCSNW pointed me to adjust the tuning which ended up correcting the oscillation, and then the jumping. If that doesn’t work, I would just replace the switch.
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

Yeah, I just looked at your video. You are going hard red on the load meter when it hits the switch. It certainly appears to be busting out into oscillation. I feel that the motor needs tuning to eliminate that, just as mine did.

Why does the screen say that the Z- limit is tripped when you should be homing to Z+?
Has the "machine setup not completed" message been there from day 1?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by martyscncgarage »

toolmaker101 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:20 pm I do not have you tube sorry I did post it on FB
I can reputedly run the Z up to end of stroke it will not hit the switch it has limit switches.
I will get cone contact cleaner and give that a try.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3531833 ... &ref=notif
Facebook is not really the place for support. This forum is. Anyone can upload to YouTube. Just mark it unlisted and post a link here.
If your limit switch is working properly and repeatedly then as was mentioned, your servo probably needs tuning.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
schric11
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Oak = A900768, AllinoneDc =A000430
CNC11: No

Post by schric11 »

I'm wondering if he had a bad shutdown and something got switched in his Machine motor Configuration file thing.. I can see his limit and home input settings are opposite of mine (5 and 6) and with that Z -comment and no Z+ comment it makes me wonder about that..
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by martyscncgarage »

I had a chance to watch the video as well. Its almost as if the Z is hitting a hard stop.
If it was "Professionally" Installed, the integrator ran a system test, as there is a SYSTEST.OUT file in his report and it failed.

Is the person/firm that did the integration still around? You should be calling them. Where in the country are you?
To me, it does not appear like the control was setup completely/properly.

Have you used the diagnostic screen and manually tripped the Z+ limit switch to see if it is working properly?
Toggle the diagnostic screen with an Alt plus the i key. Slowly jog in the Z+ direction and see that the switch trips the the appropriate input. Top row of virtual LED's will be inputs, move the cursor box up and all the way to the left. Middle of the screen, under the last row of virtual LED's is a Legend or description of what the input is assigned to.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
toolmaker101

Post by toolmaker101 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:26 pm I had a chance to watch the video as well. Its almost as if the Z is hitting a hard stop.
If it was "Professionally" Installed, the integrator ran a system test, as there is a SYSTEST.OUT file in his report and it failed.

Is the person/firm that did the integration still around? You should be calling them. Where in the country are you?
To me, it does not appear like the control was setup completely/properly.

Have you used the diagnostic screen and manually tripped the Z+ limit switch to see if it is working properly?
Toggle the diagnostic screen with an Alt plus the i key. Slowly jog in the Z+ direction and see that the switch trips the the appropriate input. Top row of virtual LED's will be inputs, move the cursor box up and all the way to the left. Middle of the screen, under the last row of virtual LED's is a Legend or description of what the input is assigned to.

Marty
Yes the teak that installed is still around I really don't trust him. He left me dirty with the machine not working talked more than worked. I ordered and pad to have all settings and programs transferred to new control. He forgot to order it. so he spent servile hours trying to figure it out. Finley Centroid saved the day sending the files.
Centroil did help tune the machine remotely back then aftre he left to get it going.
I have just put up with issues but now it is getting really bad.

I did the alt I and the #5 lite switches green and red with the Z switch. I guess i need to have Centroid look into the tuning.

I love this old girl just need to get her back in shape.

I am THANKFUL for the help!!! Right now I have a lot on my plate just throwing band-ads in stuff.
Attachments
20211122_085047.jpg
20211122_085022.jpg