Chasing an Axis Differential Error (CNCSNW?)

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Chasing an Axis Differential Error (CNCSNW?)

Post by martyscncgarage »

For the benefit of everyone, hoping Marc Leonard with CNCSNW will chime in and describe how he would chase down a "412 Z axis(3) encoder differential error" on an axis.

An old client of mine has a large router (48"x48" which is used to cut ICE Sculptures. I upgraded the control to an All in One DC a little over two years ago.
Pictures of the machine can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TvGPjTTTQT8ezUag9

Recently, he started getting a "412 Z axis(3) encoder differential error" intermittently. He would reset the control and continue on with the job. Starting to get a bit more frequent. He reached out to Centroid and they sold him a new replacement NEMA 34 DC Brush Servo. (Centroid/Glentek) to replace the old NEMA 34 DC Brush Servo (I believe it is a Redcom) So we are starting with replacing it today.
(Pictures and report attached)

The machine is obviously in a Freezer (no fun to work on) and the control is outside the freezer. So the cables from the machine to the control are fairly long.

I'd like to know (as do we all) the logical approach to chasing down the 412 Axis encoder differential error"
I was thinking its the encoder on the motor, but it could possibly be the cable, so I am taking one to swap in temporarily if needed.

Thanks in advance
Marty
Attachments
Old Centroid Motor.jpg
Armitage Ice report_0626192246_2021-10-27_19-29-45.zip
(252.42 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Centroid-Glentek Servo.jpg
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Re: Chasing an Axis Differential Error (CNCSNW?)

Post by cncsnw »

If the issue is not the motor (or rather, the encoder in the motor) then it is almost certainly the cable. Swapping out the cable is going to be the simplest test.

If you ultimately find there are cracks in the encoder cable, it would be worth researching some alternatives. Compare the temperature range and continuous-flex ratings for Belden, Helukabel, and any other higher-quality shielded twisted-pair cables you can find.

What is the temperature in the freezer?
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:12 pm If the issue is not the motor (or rather, the encoder in the motor) then it is almost certainly the cable. Swapping out the cable is going to be the simplest test.

If you ultimately find there are cracks in the encoder cable, it would be worth researching some alternatives. Compare the temperature range and continuous-flex ratings for Belden, Helukabel, and any other higher-quality shielded twisted-pair cables you can find.

What is the temperature in the freezer?
Marc, I asked the client to inspect the cable. I will have several encoder extension cables removed from my Atrump, that I can connect together and test if it is not the encoder. Good point on the insulation temperature rating of the cable. I don't remember exactly what the temperature is. Some how I want to say its about 10 degrees. But will know soon!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

Marty,
Another encoder cable option is Alpha 86604CY. Its temperature rating is: -10 to 105°C(static), +5 to 105°C (dynamic) . Centroid could sell you some (PN 8723) if you can't find a reasonable length available online.
martyscncgarage

Thanks Marc and Matt,
Turns out it seems the encoder was going bad in the old motor. New motor/encoder seems to be working.

Thanks for the PN on that cable Matt!
Marty
Mesa, AZ