MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103

KP-3 Probe Woes

Post by polaraligned »

I purchased this probe back in Spring, but just started using it. Pretty much hobbyist with no time syndrome, lol.
Anyway, it's accuracy has been questionable on a few parts that I started making over the last 2 weeks. It sticks in the "tripped" position sometimes. Worse, when it does not stick the accuracy is highly questionable, sometimes varying as much as 30+ thousandths. And yes, my machine is in good working order and the runout as checked with a Swiss made tenths indicator shows near zero movement on the probe tip as it is rotated. This is a problem with the KP-3.

The most unsettling part is not that it sometimes sticks, but rather the trip point is not consistently correct. I can rotate the spindle with the probe in it and just consistently get different results that are off by several thousandths depending on the orientation of the probe. I can do the same single axis probe over and over and get those same variable results. And as seen in the video, the probe routine can perform seemingly flawlessly and give you a very erroneous result.

A user on one of the Facebook Centroid forums is having the same problem, so I hope this is not an issue with design/fabrication of the probe.

Here is a video of it failing and measuring inaccurately.

polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103

Re: KP-3 Probe Woes

Post by polaraligned »

I emailed Centroid last night and promptly got a response from Scott at 8:00 this morning, excellent customer service as usual. He looked at the video and suspected that there is some dirt inside the unit. He is issuing a RMA and said they will possibly cover it under warranty depending on the exact issue. If there is dirt in there, it certainly was not from me as there is a dust seal and this unit has spent 99% of it's short life in my tool cabinet.

I am looking forward to seeing what is wrong as I need confidence in this probe or there is no point in having it. I machined 2 parts last week each taking 4+ hours of machine time. I was suspicious of something because the LED light would stay on faintly at times, so I took extra caution to make sure my parts were located correctly. Nothing would be worse than ruining a part you have so much invested in.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: KP-3 Probe Woes

Post by martyscncgarage »

polaraligned wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:05 pm I emailed Centroid last night and promptly got a response from Scott at 8:00 this morning, excellent customer service as usual. He looked at the video and suspected that there is some dirt inside the unit. He is issuing a RMA and said they will possibly cover it under warranty depending on the exact issue. If there is dirt in there, it certainly was not from me as there is a dust seal and this unit has spent 99% of it's short life in my tool cabinet.

I am looking forward to seeing what is wrong as I need confidence in this probe or there is no point in having it. I machined 2 parts last week each taking 4+ hours of machine time. I was suspicious of something because the LED light would stay on faintly at times, so I took extra caution to make sure my parts were located correctly. Nothing would be worse than ruining a part you have so much invested in.
Keep us posted!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ