Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Cant turn on Orientation on Delta C2000

Post by martyscncgarage »

Remove the AT and replace with @ in the email address I provided (remove the spaces as well)
You can call their support line as well.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ashesman »

OK. So I think I worked this out. The copy of the manual I had was a 2019 version. I cannot get the new manual from Delta website as their download center wont work on my PC! I got a friend to get it and the latest version is a 2021 manual.

The new manual shows that the parameters have moved to a new location. Parameters 11-65 and 11-66 replace 10-19 and parameter 11-52 replaces parameter 10-20. After I noticed this i also got a confirmation email from Delta tech support saying that the change occurred as of firmware version 2.06. The manual still says to set the input pin to function 35, so even though it has a weird label on the controller, maybe it will just work. It is too late to give it a go now but will see if I can get time tomorrow between jobs to try it out.

Once I saw these new parameter numbers, I knew I had seen them somewhere before. I looked back through some of the documents I had read, and there they were in the centroid app note in a small print. So the answer was in front of me the whole time!!!
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:02 pm Remove the AT and replace with @ in the email address I provided (remove the spaces as well)
You can call their support line as well.
Thanks. It was obvious now I look back! I think I should be sorted now. I just need some time to be able to slow down and not rush through this stuff!
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Yup, all working now. This drive is great, where has it been all my life!

A dog to configure and use compared to the Hitachi but the PM motor control is awesome. Can even meet the 0.3s to 6000 RPM acceleration times I wanted.

Had to do a bit of tuning of ASR zero speed bandwidth and APR gain together the orient nice and stiff but I think it will be good. We will see when it has to fight with the tool changer racks.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

PLEASE take the time to share all the Parameters you had to set, what terminals you used etc.
It will help the next guy and is a good way to give back.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

I was going to put up the parameter file after I had finished setting it all up. I haven't got it controlled by the Oak yet, just been driving it from the front panel.
Titleiiarms
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

Congrats on getting past that hurdle! I bought my VFD 4 years ago when I first started thinking about converting my VMC . I figured if I could get the existing spindle motor running good and then the orient function , I would have a huge hurdle completed and motivation to continue the Centroid conversion. In my mind, it made the project viable. 4 years later.... I finally bought the rest of the stuff and pretty much have it done. Every once in awhile in the past fours years.. I would fire up the VFD on the stripped machine, run the spindle and do a bunch of fast stops with orient just to remind myself to get back on it. I probably spent a week setting that thing up and read docs till I was blind :)
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

ashesman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 am I was going to put up the parameter file after I had finished setting it all up. I haven't got it controlled by the Oak yet, just been driving it from the front panel.
Assume you have got the spindle orient set up correctly? Usually that involves manually orienting the spindle and then reading the encoder position, and entering that value into the appropriate parameter in the VFD.
Use the spindle orient input and the Zero speed output to and from the VFD. Spindle orient commands the VFD to Orient and hold, once holding, CNC12 waits for the Zero speed output to go low to continue with the tool change cycle.
That is how I understand it. Marc can confirm.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:05 am
ashesman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 am I was going to put up the parameter file after I had finished setting it all up. I haven't got it controlled by the Oak yet, just been driving it from the front panel.
Assume you have got the spindle orient set up correctly? Usually that involves manually orienting the spindle and then reading the encoder position, and entering that value into the appropriate parameter in the VFD.
Use the spindle orient input and the Zero speed output to and from the VFD. Spindle orient commands the VFD to Orient and hold, once holding, CNC12 waits for the Zero speed output to go low to continue with the tool change cycle.
That is how I understand it. Marc can confirm.

Marty
Yup, I have it all adjusted to the correct position. Tricky when you cant see the VFD screen while turning the spindle!

I have a big job to convert the PLC code back as currently It has a PID loop to do spindle orientation.. Zero speed is not necessary with this VFD. You can switch on orient at any RPM and it will decelerate, orient and set the output. Usually takes less than 0.3s in my case. I might slow that down though as I dont want to accidentally spin the brains out of my Haimer doing orient!!!
Titleiiarms
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

I think what Marty means is you have to provide the VFD Zero speed output signal back to the OAK board for the tool changer to work. Guess they dont want tools spinning around and getting unclamped :)
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA