Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cant turn on Orientation on Delta C2000

Post by ashesman »

cncsnw wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 pm I probably would not wire the VFD's 24V supply to H2 on the Oak.

Even though that supply to Oak shares the H2 header with the spindle analog output and input, it is not actually related to the spindle interface at all.

The 24VDC supply you connect to H2 is used for the servo drive I/O, on the four axis headers. I usually wire the 24V from PS1 (the RQ-65D underneath the Oak unit) to H2 for axis servo drive sequencing.
I am ok with the VFDs 24V used for the oak. In my case the oaks 24V PSU is used to power all the input signals to the Oak including wires that go all around the machine. I did not power the Oaks 24V off it as I did not want it powered on a potentially noisy supply. The VFDs power supply powers just the signals between the VFD, Oak and servo drives. This keeps the signal power localised and loop area small. The VFDs power supply is rated at 250mA and the Oak draws 100mA so all good there.

I did originally think the oaks 24v input just powered the spindle outputs and was why I originally wired that way. But later saw on a forum post a guy that found out the hard way that it also powers the servo drives.

Time will tell if it's a bad idea!
Clausing2020
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3639

Post by Clausing2020 »

Ok guys I’m setting up a Fanuc Spindle with a Delta C2000 drive with Acorn. I ordered a EMC-PG01L now what I’m seeing from you guys that this card is for induction motors only. I see there is a EMC-PG01LU am I seeing this correct that is the card I would need for my Fanuc Spindle. Is there any more documentation on this any where setting this up with Acorn.

Thanks Guys
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Clausing2020 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:29 am Ok guys I’m setting up a Fanuc Spindle with a Delta C2000 drive with Acorn. I ordered a EMC-PG01L now what I’m seeing from you guys that this card is for induction motors only. I see there is a EMC-PG01LU am I seeing this correct that is the card I would need for my Fanuc Spindle. Is there any more documentation on this any where setting this up with Acorn.

Thanks Guys
You need to provide more information, like a nameplate on the motor....
The spindle encoder is used to handle the orientation with the VFD.
You should start your own build thread and provide the following information requested in this post so we can better help you.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
We have no idea what you are working on and what you are working with.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

Clausing2020 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:29 am Ok guys I’m setting up a Fanuc Spindle with a Delta C2000 drive with Acorn. I ordered a EMC-PG01L now what I’m seeing from you guys that this card is for induction motors only. I see there is a EMC-PG01LU am I seeing this correct that is the card I would need for my Fanuc Spindle. Is there any more documentation on this any where setting this up with Acorn.

Thanks Guys
From memory the difference between those cards is the input frequency range or something along those lines. The C2000 manual lists all the cards and their differences. The manual has stuff everywhere but there is nothing that is not in there.

I dont think any encoder cards are particular to induction motors, but rather to the encoder type.

I run a C2000 on a permanent magnet motor and it does orientation beautifully. Acceleration 0-6000 rpm in 0.3s.
So you should be able to get it all working.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

My Delta VFD-VE has the EMC-PG01L encoder card in it. My machine is an Atrump Maximill. Originally came with a Centroid control
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

So I couldnt help myself and looked in the manual. There does not appear to be a pg01lu encoder card. There are pg01l, pgo1o and PG01U. L is a differential input card, O is an open collector. These work on encoders that have only a A, B and Z signal.

The U version, which is what I use is for encoders that have A,B,Z and U,V,W signals. Most permanent magnet motors will have UVW signals. These are called commutation signals and tell the drive where the motor is oriented roughly so it can start without twitching or stalling. Without these you have to use high frequency starting or DC injection starting. Which creates a pause and noise from the motor.

All AC servo motors use commutation signals.

So, you can probably use your card on a PM motor but without using the UVW signals, may have to use an alternate starting method. A look at the pinout of your encoder and motor specs would tell what encoder card is best.