CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Oak rotary 4th axis config question

Post by Titleiiarms »

Howdy all, glad the board is back up:)

I bought a older Haas 5c indexer and retrofitted a DMM 86L AC servo motor in place of the old stepper. It worked out great and does what I need to replace the manual one Ive been using. Couple questions I can't find an answer for....

I changed the parms to display wrap around..0 to 360 and can midi to any degree in between and it works fine but noticed it doesn't always rotate in the shortest direction. Cant put my finger on the math but for example if its sitting at 340 degrees and I midi to 0 it goes the opposite direction clear around to get there instead of just rotating 20 degrees. But if im at say 160 and midi to 0 it goes back to O .

Other question is can I change the display resolution for just the 4th axis from the 6 digits (123.456) to just 3? I don't need arc sec resolution and it bounces around quite at at that level. Thanks again for the help.. Cutting parts now on this old boat anchor and quite happy with the Oak conversion .
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
Titleiiarms
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Oak rotary 4th axis config question

Post by Titleiiarms »

Ok. Well. The 6 digits seem ok now after some tuning its much more stable and comparable to my other mills . The rotation direction still bugs me a bit. If sitting at 355 and midi to A0 it goes clear back around. Mach 3 parm calls it (ang short rot on G0) We got anything like that with CNC 12?
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

No, CNC12 does not automatically recognize that 0.0 and 360.0 are the same position.

You should ensure that your post writes out positions that continue beyond 360 when appropriate, and optionally, for production-type runs, include some type of unwind/reset. See "Unwinding the rotary axis" under http://www.cncsnw.com/4thHowTo.htm
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Titleiiarms wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:17 pm Howdy all, glad the board is back up:)
due to the success of this forum our VPS ran out of disk space :D problem has been resolved.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html