MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Found the limits of pushing the computer

Post by CJD »

Well, I've been running the all-in-one for almost 2 years with an i7 intel 8 core processor. It does so well that I started to push the limits. I first realized that I could run and edit Inventor at the same time I was running a job...no problem. Then I found I could surf the web, run Inventor, manipulate files, and run a job...no problem. The system finally balked though. Here is the limitation:

I have been running parts from blueprints, and I frequently don't need the mill while I am reading and programming the blueprints into Inventor. I got in the habit of putting the computer to sleep, to make it easier the next day not to have to re-open several sets of the same blueprints. So...after running the computer 3 days without a full reboot, I fired up the CNC12. THAT is where the system baulked! It would start a job just fine, but the zero positions started drifting.

No need to lecture, as I will continue to push the limits to see what I can get away with. I thought someone else would be interested to learn how far you can go!?!
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Found the limits of pushing the computer

Post by Dave_C »

I have a Honda Gold Wing that will do 125MPH (Limited at that speed) but I don't feel the need to push it till it breaks just to see if I can break it.

There are best practices for good reliable CNC results and then there are practices that make machines unreliable. I think you have described a lot of the things that would make a machine run unreliably!

You will get away with it until one day you crash and then you won't!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Re: Found the limits of pushing the computer

Post by ashesman »

Go hard or go home I say. No point in putting a capable PC there and having it work at 5% all its life. I run my development PCs for months on end without restarting them. Each day using super hungry design software and various programs. Centroids PC software runs on a single core. So it can run along side your other programs without loss of performance. Of course if you start running out of RAM or other programs are consuming so much CPU that CNC12 is getting starved then that wont be great, but if you stick within the limits should be no problems. There biggest risk is that another program causes a bluescreen of death or some other unexpected shutdown while a part is running.

But if you want to be safe, dedicate a PC to the CNC and then you can go nuts on your design PC with guarantee that it will never cause a problem. Link them together by one of the many possible methods so you can still control the CNC PC from the design one, or copy files to it.